How to make your MediaWiki based site mobile-friendly

Other options besides Wikipedia.
Auggie

Re: How to make your MediaWiki based site mobile-friendly

Post by Auggie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:43 pm

Are you referring to wiki.org.uk or do you have another wiki?

yeah I wouldn't mess around with Wiki Farms. If your wiki takes off, it might be hard to get your data out. Shared hosting is so cheap and easy, a wiki farm makes little sense unless you're completely technically inept or just don't care too much and simply want to get a wiki started with absolutely minimal effort.

I don't know why Citizendium can't scale back. they might have already. I think that $100 figure is several years old.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Just referring to wiki.org.uk in the last post. If you look at http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/CZ:Financial_report it seems like citizendium did cut costs, but alas the $100 is their scaled back cost.
Editor of the The Wiki Cabal. I live at www.wiki.org.uk.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:57 pm

wow they're keeping up well with their financial reporting. I suppose $100 isn't really that much considering their site is very snappy and responsive.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:11 am

It certainly is performing well. I have got in contact with them (citizendium) to ask about MobileFrontend and HTTPS, maybe they can give some reasoning on why they don't use either.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:55 pm

I never bothered with https because it seemed like overkill for an encyclopedia site where the only sensitive information is account passwords and at the time I looked it cost more money. The idea of a free security certificate seems kind of suspicious. But Google did say they would penalize sites without them, so it's probably a good idea eventually. What's the big deal with them anyway?

Citizendium is due for a MediaWiki update and if I had to guess, I'd say they are putting it off because all their customizations would break and the site would need work if they did it. I'm not sure if MobileFrontend would work with the version they are running.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:12 pm

https://letsencrypt.org/ gives free HTTPS certificates, it's sponsored by just about everyone to allow it to do this. I also use the free tier of cloudflare, so I have two layers of HTTPS for no reason. (Cloudflare is because DDoS attacks can be expensive).

Google reportedly ranks HTTPS enabled sites higher in search results, and also sometimes browsers display warnings if sites are not secure. Here's the offical "why bother" info: https://developers.google.com/web/funda ... /why-https

Probably right on the subject of Citizendium needing an update. I will bear that in mind when talking to them.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:11 am

Ok, the response from Citizendum is.

[to why no MobileFrontend and HTTPS]
Hi - both of these have been looked at and considered but it depends on what the tech staff (unpaid volunteers) can get around to.

John Stephenson
Not promising, looks like there are no tech staff.

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:08 am

Dysklyver wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:11 am
Ok, the response from Citizendum is.

[to why no MobileFrontend and HTTPS]
Hi - both of these have been looked at and considered but it depends on what the tech staff (unpaid volunteers) can get around to.

John Stephenson
Not promising, looks like there are no tech staff.
That's surprising... and very depressing. Even the Wikimedia Foundation has dedicated and paid tech staff. You can argue about their productivity and usefulness, but at least Wikipedia has tech staff keeping it afloat.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain