Everipedia

Other options besides Wikipedia.
Renée Bagslint

Re: Everipedia

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:06 am

I'm guessing that people rich enough to invest in Everipedia have "people" to do that sort of thing for them.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:18 pm

Auggie wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:03 am
wtf? Sounds like they want to kill their own website.

Editing is an 18 step process. :lol:
Ha, I managed it in 20 steps. ;)

http://thewikicabal.com/2018/09/05/ponzipedia/

I hear things about how it will be made easier, which to be blunt is really needed if they are to take on Wikipedia meaningfully going forward.
Editor of the The Wiki Cabal. I live at www.wiki.org.uk.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Otherwise the hordes of anonymous loons, cranks, fanatics, activists, provocateurs, marketeers, cheats, swindlers and crooks might find it too hard.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am

Interesting that Everipedia is becoming a bit of a touchstone for the other sites. The house view at WS, as represented by their semi-tame rottweiler CrowsNest, is all in favour it, possibly because CN hates Wikipedia so much that he desperately wants to believe that Everipedia will kill it. I don't know what it is about EP that he thinks will make it any different from WP if and when that happy day arrives, but till then, my enemy's enemy is my new BFF. Graaf's position is much more interesting. He likes EP because it isn't as toxic as WP (in his case WP-NL). I fear that when EP becomes as popular with the anonymous loons, plus all the money-grubbers desperate to get rich quick off cryptocoins, it will become as toxic as WP is -- indeed more so if actual real-world money is at stake. I think Graaf is in for serious disappointment if EP takes off: his best hope is probably that it remains a ramshackle mega-blog.

On the other side, WO is moving slowly to rein in the EP spam. Perhaps it's the same reason in reverse: they are afraid that EP will succeed in killing off WP, and then they won't have anything to whinge about (or to hope against hope that they'll be let back into).

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:59 pm

This is really starting to get interesting. Usually the default position for most critics is complete dismissal and shunning of any Wikipedia alternatives. In this case Everipedia has somehow seemed to have avoided all that. Wikipediocrats and WS have been talking about them from the beginning. I'm wondering how EP broke through to the point where people aren't afraid to talk about it.

Maybe it is just the cryptocurrency thing. You have a lot of losers looking to get rich quick from their computer desks. It makes sense that Wikipedia and cryptocurrencies are shared interests and you mash the two together and you will get some suckers to invest their time or money.

Paul Bedson

Post by Paul Bedson » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:54 pm

I was borderline into cryptocurrency when I found Everipedia. I had a few friends deeply into it and some knowledge but never bought any.

It was the concept of Everipedia that made me buy some EOS and jump on board. It is paying me a chocolate bar an evening now and that's about to go up to a much better rate after testing finishes, within a couple of months.

It's a new and challenging concept Auggie but get inside the head of Sam Kazemian, who programmed and thought this whole system out and you'll be impressed, the more you learn. I'll invite Romi Ezzo to join this board, if you don't mind. He's their Head of Communications and has some interesting ideas for potentially ex-Wikipedians and new Everipedians that he might be able to share here.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:12 am

Sure invite him over.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am
[...]I don't know what it is about EP that he thinks will make it any different from WP if and when that happy day arrives[...]
There's no admin role on EP.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Dysklyver wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 pm
So instead of being mob rule with a smaller mob with superpowers, it's just plain old mob rule. A distinction without a difference, I think.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:52 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:31 pm
Dysklyver wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:06 pm
So instead of being mob rule with a smaller mob with superpowers, it's just plain old mob rule. A distinction without a difference, I think.
Sort of yes, there is a system of democratic votes. If more than 50% of the editors vote against a change it gets undone (something like that anyway). Pages can't be deleted, but it's possible they can be "merged" which seems the same thing. And for legal reasons, the executive staff can probably override the normal procedure if needed. Anyway, for people who don't like admins for various reasons (eg being blocked) this is a big difference. For everyone else, probably not.