Wikia bans "SJW" term for a period and it goes poorly

Other options besides Wikipedia.
The Devil's Advocate

Wikia bans "SJW" term for a period and it goes poorly

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:35 am

Did another article for Breitbart, this time focusing on a recent spam blacklisting by Wikia, now known as Fandom. It was political in nature and poorly implemented so there were various false positives. Also discusses another snafu from last year where they tried to put video in a bunch of wikis and got significant backlash.

Dysklyver

Re: Wikia bans "SJW" term for a period and it goes poorly

Post by Dysklyver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:22 am

A good read.

Of course Wikia is getting political over this, but what they really don't want to admit is they have almost no content moderation capability.

Not a very good standpoint from a brand preservation viewpoint.
Editor of the The Wiki Cabal. I live at www.wiki.org.uk.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:17 pm

wow it's almost like they want to kill their own website.

Snowflakes can't handle the SJW acronym?

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:59 pm

Auggie wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:17 pm
So as far as I can tell, it's roughly equivalent to "NAZI" but aimed at left-wing/feminist/liberal leaning people instead of alt-right/Trumpist people.

Basically it's a bad term, don't use it unless you *want* to provoke a manic flame war or get on well with your local Stormfront representative.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:22 pm

Who knew?

One of my friends is super liberal and thinks it's funny when people call her an SJW.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:25 am

Dysklyver wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:59 pm
So as far as I can tell, it's roughly equivalent to "NAZI" but aimed at left-wing/feminist/liberal leaning people instead of alt-right/Trumpist people.

Basically it's a bad term, don't use it unless you *want* to provoke a manic flame war or get on well with your local Stormfront representative.
It isn't even slightly equivalent to calling someone a Nazi. The term "Social Justice warrior" has long been a self-applied label by certain people on the left and "SJW" is just an acronym for the term. People freaking out over it says more about them than anyone else. However, given how many self-applying "social justice warrior" to themselves are also just full-blown communists it can be seen as the equivalent to Nazi, but that is more their fault for being commies.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Dysklyver wrote:
Auggie wrote:

So you would advocate the same for the use of the word "nazi", then? A bad term you shouldn't use unless you want to provoke a flame war or get on well with your local Stalinist cell? If so, there are a lot of people who didn't get that particular memo.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:11 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:25 am
However, given how many self-applying "social justice warrior" to themselves are also just full-blown communists it can be seen as the equivalent to Nazi, but that is more their fault for being commies.
To the contrary, most of these causes are at best distractions from and at worst inimical to actual social justice. The point of illegal immigration for example is to push the price of labor below rock bottom and render minimum wage and other protections meaningless, just as was the point of slavery before it. The point of intersectionality is to reframe injustice such that the working classes can be viewed as the oppressors of the professional classes since they're not feminists, gay rights activists etc., hence "deplorables". By "equal pay" is not meant anything remotely like everyone being paid the same, but that female CEOs, partners in law firms etc. should be paid the same as male CEOs etc. No one wants the same pay as labor! (and minimum wage is already gender neutral.) Should a transgendered Zoroastrian foot fetishist have the equal right to purchase a Midtown penthouse? That is their version of social justice.

Communism by contrast is about workers, period.

For what it's worth the USSR, while certainly (and rightfully) anti-racist, banned and criminalized the deviant behaviors with which today's "social justice warriors" are most obsessed. The same is true of other communist countries. This is liberalism, not communism. Two completely different and incompatible things. Liberalism is the natural ideological counterpart of capitalism, consumerism, social atomism and Randian self-realization, and that is why these ideas arise here in the west for the first time.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:35 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:31 pm
Dysklyver wrote:
Auggie wrote:

So you would advocate the same for the use of the word "nazi", then? A bad term you shouldn't use unless you want to provoke a flame war or get on well with your local Stalinist cell? If so, there are a lot of people who didn't get that particular memo.
I certainly don't habitually drop the "nazi" word in chat. It's fine if you are talking about actual WWII Nazi's or those that self-identify as nazis, but otherwise it is a little negatively loaded.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:53 am

As a communist, I'm stil a little ticked at DA's tarring me by association with these misguided lunatics. Communism is not about destroying families and communities. It is not about a bunch of dudes in dresses or in a daisy chain. It is not even about personal choice. It is simply an equal division of the money.