The Gender Desk thread

Talk about things not related to wiki encyclopedias here.
Renée Bagslint

The Gender Desk thread

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:24 pm

It seems I have outstayed my welcome at the Gender Desk so I'll put some comments up here if that's OK.

Cicero “the perv” Moraes: dead woman’s boobs posted on Commons
Gender Desk wrote:Everyone has met a guy like this, the kind of guy who can’t make eye contact, whose eyes wander downward as you talk. And when you meet him, you excuse yourself quickly, leave the room, and distance yourself socially from anyone and everyone who knows him. If it’s a job interview, you quietly cross this company off your list.

Cicero Moraes is this kind of guy, the kind of guy who doesn’t know the difference between a face and a boob.
[...]
But when Cicero Moraes did a reconstruction of “Eva de Naharon” a Mexican woman found in a cave who died with a fractured spine some 13,000 years ago, he thought it was just fine to imagine what her boobs looked like, draw them onto her image, and donate it to Commons.
I commented
I wrote:Sorry to hear that you find it intolerable to be with people with austistic spectrum disorders. Perhaps your confusion between perverts and people with social interaction deficit prevented you from noticing what seemed to me a more significant feature of the reconstructed Eva de Naharon. Not only did the 80% complete skeleton allow Moraes to guess at what her breasts looked like, it also appears to have told him that she was white. Considering that the current anthropological debate is over whether the skeletons bear more resemblence to people from north or south Asia, presenting her as Caucasian seems a curious choice to make. Perhaps it’s more to do with the interaction between race and politics in Latin America than it is to do with boobs.

Auggie

Re: The Gender Desk thread

Post by Auggie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:08 pm

That's a pretty cool reconstruction. Looks like a lot of work went into it.

And everyone looks at breasts, including women. Its not a big deal. I don't think someone making a scientific illustration should be attacked for including them.