Graaf Statler

Specific discussion about Wikimedia editors and editing of Wikimedia project pages.
EarlStatler

Graaf Statler

Post by EarlStatler » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:54 am

Let me, let me tell you the story of that mysterieus Graaf Statler. Let me introduce my jewish Family in Amsterdam to you, from long before te war. Let me take you by the hand and lead you trough the dark years of Das Dritte Reich and trough the gas chambers of Sobibor. Trough the Amsterdam of the fifties. And trough the Amsterdam and Utrecht university of the sixties, with briljant professors English like Andries Vos and Bram Verhoeff, my (not real) uncles. Let me introduce to you the eccentric professor Harting.

Let's have a look in the hippie communities of the late seventies and yes, we will meet the great Tolkien and Barbara Trapido, and we will see a even blacker site of the NSB than you know. The organisation of Herr Hitler in Holland, and we will even end up in Greece. Yes I promise you.
But lets start in Amsterdam on the marriage of one the sisters of my grandfather in Amsterdam. Jewish sisters, in the Wintertuin, the Wintergarden of the famous hotel Krasnapolsky .
Luister en huiver.

We are in the in the year 1919. And Sara is the one who marriage later with Gerard. Two of this sisters died in Sobibor, one in Auschwitz.

My grandfather was Jacques, here with his two sons, who died in 1947 because the war what he had survived, had take a too heavy toll on his health. My father is the smallest boy of the two. They were modern, not jewish in a religious way people. One his sisters was named Maria, and the others used not there Jewish fist names.
And my grandmother came out of Sint Maartensvlotbrug, a village in North Holland, and was a cabaret girl in famous the Bouwmeester Revue.

My grandfather went to England, and started there a succes full printing company, he printed advertising cards and became rich. They traveled a lot, to Paris, to other European city's and had even a nice car. And that was very special in these days.

Here you see them on of there holiday's in England, on the south coast. My Father went in England to school, but it was no succes. He had only what later is called in the family "Walsrapporten" Waltz reports. 1,2,3. 1,2,3. 1,2,3.
And when they went back to Holland he went to the Stedelijk Lyceum in Amsterdam, finished it, studied a few mouths English, and became art painter and a bon vivant. Till the war came. And till he met my mother. A even stranger history.

But first we go back to the wedding of Sara and Gerard in 1913. The party was in Hotel Krasnapolsky was beautiful, but the marriage was a drama. Gerard was a bastard, he was terrible for his children and wife, he slaughtered their bunny and he did many other bad things to them. In short, it was a beast of a man. They got thee sons, and the oldest, Frits, flew without finishing his high school before the war to South Africa. To Durban with noting else than some small things with him and became later a professor mathematics at the University of Durban.
And he is the father of Barbara Trapido, who described this part of the family story in her autobiographical book Frankie & Stankie in details.

Only one thing she didn't write correct, and I think nobody told here ever. Gerard was not a resistance hero she discribes in here book.. No, far from.
Gerard separate from his Jewish wife before the war, protected her, and became a member the infamous NSB! And was after the war send three years in prison, in one there one penalty camps, and they withdraw his pension. It was a very heavy punishment at that time, and the the papers to prove this you can find in the National Archief in Den Haag. And his two sons also played a dirty roll!
Three sister were not so lucky. They were send to Hitlers extermination camp, just like more than twenty other members of my family. You can find the heartbreaking story of one of the sisters in a dutch book, doorzakken bij Jamin, written by here daughter.

Here you see her on here wedding, both she and here man were killed in the Nazi Camps.

Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum” wrote Titus Lucretius Carus long ago. So strong was religion in persuading to do wrong, and it still is.
My Father was a artist, a portrait pianter in that time and a bon vivant. The world was colored black, the nazism came up, and the surrounding he was living in cane be best compared with the existentialisme of Sartre.
They were living like there was no tomorrow, they had big party's what never ended, music,drinking, woman. Nobody in that time was interested in education, money or a job. My uncle Jan was a friend of my father beloning to the same group of young people and was living with his sister and his divorced mother in a fairly large house in the neighborhood Amsterdam Oud-Zuid. So when my father was looking for a shelter for the German Arbeitseinsatz and because of his Jews background, he was welcome there.

Although he was not Jewish according to the Nuremberg laws, he didn't trusted the situation with uncle Gerard and his sons. And he was right! Because one day he came in the middle of a razzia, were the were locking for jews, and stood suddenly face to face with his cousin. In a uniform of the black police. The sun of his uncle Gerard.
The two old friends looked each other in there eye's, and both the continued their way without changing a word, and after this my father most times was hiding himself in a closet. Only reading when there was was a bit of day light and smoking, very bad tobacco.

The war was hard, and dark. There was hunger, no food. But the artistic group were my father was in before the war found also shelter in the house of what later my grandmother became. How dark the world was, they had party's and were making music and all kind of other things of art. And between that little sister of my uncle, who did life-threatening things in the war, like smuggling letters and helping with attacks from the resistant, stated a romance. And at the end of the war my mother was pregnant, but here child is born in freedom. Thanks to our liberators, many gave there young live for our freedom.

(To be continued.)

Mod note: Second picture removed per user request. -The Joy
Last edited by EarlStatler on Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:48 am, edited 21 times in total.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

EarlStatler

Re: Graaf Statler

Post by EarlStatler » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:54 am

Aggie, can you find out why the last picture shows up twice?

EarlStatler

Re: Graaf Statler

Post by EarlStatler » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 am

Wrong. Please remove.

Mod note: Should be fixed now. Sorry for the delay! -The Joy

*Take it easy, I am very thankful to you and your colleges they give me the change to tell this strange story. I am you and your colleges very thankful.