Snooganssnoogans

Specific discussion about Wikimedia editors and editing of Wikimedia project pages.
The Devil's Advocate

Snooganssnoogans

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:30 am

A curious character of mysterious origins. Showed up conveniently during the 2016 primary season and made a lot of edits about the Cod Wars until getting past the necessary threshold to participate in the highly-topical-for-American-politics article on immigration. He took a plainly pro-immigration line in all of his edits and gradually branched out. He has had some difficulties with Sashi at Wikipedia and currently there is a bit of a dust-up after Sashi accused him of incivility and copyright infringement. There is now an effort to get Sashi boomeranged for supposedly making a frivolous report.

My own review shows several recent edits by Snoog that would at times appear to be a little too reliant on quotations of copyrighted material as opposed to paraphrasing. A lot of editors make liberal use of quotations, but this is something that can arouse criticism since Wikipedia is supposed to be a place for freely-licensed information and include only a minimum amount of fair use content. Doncram was raked over the coals repeatedly for using quotations that some felt were excessive, at times them being somewhat overzealous about the issue, so this is something people have got in serious trouble for doing. Particularly, this edit about Icelandic independence and this one about the Alaska Permanent Fund seem to make very unnecessary use of a lengthy quotations. This was simply what I looked at through a cursory review and without even contemplating close-paraphrasing. Who knows how much of the latter might be lurking in his edit history?

sashi

Re: Snooganssnoogans

Post by sashi » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:01 am

I really found that third example telling, which is why I posted it despite already being in "hot water". I just cannot imagine how that edit on Hersh could have been an innocent mistake. I mean... he had to deliberately pull a sentence out of a paragraph about Syria in order to surround it with stuff that was about bin Laden. I only even noticed it because the date of one of the sources in their new topic sentence was two years prior to the Hersh publication they were supposedly criticizing. But then, thinking harder, I can't really see why they would do that either, except that they seem to be really, really focused on making as much noise as possible about Syria. Like that Dan the Plumber sock before him. What isn't clear is what possible purpose there could be behind pushing that line.

When I mentioned the ANI to you I wasn't expecting you to send me anything (the main subject of the message was actually something else), I figured you would just take a look at the copyvios and possibly tell me I was a bit loopy for thinking it was a scandal or file it for a future article. But once I saw the "sloppy journalism" in the middle sentence of the paragraph, I couldn't resist posting it because it is just *such* a perfect "mise en abime" of all that is annoying about their sloppy (or is it deceptive?) editing. Also, I apologize for not citing you by name at en.wp, but given that I didn't have your authorization to do so, and that talking to you might get me in trouble with some there, I figured it was safest just to leave you as a mysterious unnamed friend. Credit where it's due, that is is an excellent example.

Pudeo

Post by Pudeo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:33 pm

I once asked him to self-revert his newspiece addition and he did. So I guess he's not all bad.

Pudeo

Post by Pudeo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 pm

I noticed that Snoog added some "endorsements" to his userpage from Twitter users complaining about his editing being biased. Based on Sharyl Attkinsson retweeting a direct link to Snoog's contribs.

From July 8, Snoog was editing from 12:37 to 9 July 03:38 (UTC+2) .

That would be 15 hours. Most of the time there were no breaks, just constant editing, but there were a few later. And that's Monday. That is just :o If he's not getting paid, he definitely should be.