Lucian Wintrich and Gateway Pundit

In-depth evaluation of specific Wikipedia articles.
The Devil's Advocate

Lucian Wintrich and Gateway Pundit

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:52 pm

I posted a piece to Medium focused on Lucian Wintrich and Gateway Pundit. There has been some politically-biased editing, but most significant is that news articles have appeared to use those pages for their description of both in a few cases and some of those articles were then cited as sources on Wikipedia to support the same material.

Proabivouac

Re: Lucian Wintrich and Gateway Pundit

Post by Proabivouac » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:48 pm

T. D. Adler wrote: NorthBySouthBaranof then jumped into the dispute to push for describing Gateway Pundit as “a right-wing website which is known to publish hoaxes and conspiracy theories.”
Wouldn't this have been so much more interesting and effective if you'd named the dude?
attendsboi wrote: It's Friday night and my parents are gone until Sunday evening…that means diapees! :D

Got a wet Secure Plus, a new Playtex baba and a nice, comfy blankee.

Life is good:)
Wikipedia: join our team, you'll fit right in!

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:13 pm

Proabivouac wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:48 pm
Wouldn't this have been so much more interesting and effective if you'd named the dude?
Although Baranof has freely disclosed his real name, it isn't relevant here.

Kingsindian

Post by Kingsindian » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:51 pm

I have a question:

Does this article spread "false rumors" about Hillary Clinton's health?

I found dozens like these by searching on the Gateway Pundit site using Google.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:10 pm

Kingsindian wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:51 pm
I have a question:

Does this article spread "false rumors" about Hillary Clinton's health?

I found dozens like these by searching on the Gateway Pundit site using Google.
It is spreading speculation, but whether it is false or not is another matter. Unless she was at some point examined and cleared by an independent doctor, all one can truly say is that this is speculation. Fair to point out that many mainstream outlets did eventually come to view Hillary's health as a significant issue to examine as it should be in elections of such importance.

Kingsindian

Post by Kingsindian » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:16 am

I think that's too charitable a reading. For instance this quote:
As an example, during the primary season in 2016 Hillary had some sort of seizure or attack during a stop at a coffee shop.
is false.

Besides, one shouldn't invert the burden of proof.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:36 am

Kingsindian wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:16 am
I think that's too charitable a reading. For instance this quote:
As an example, during the primary season in 2016 Hillary had some sort of seizure or attack during a stop at a coffee shop.
is false.

Besides, one shouldn't invert the burden of proof.
Is it false, though? Snopes only describes it as unproven and that's one of those prestigious fact-checkers Facebook was recruiting that Malik was talking about. At any rate, you're quibbling about minutia again. Just once more looking for an excuse to ignore the broader point.

Kingsindian

Post by Kingsindian » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:06 pm

If I understand correctly, you're saying that the phrase "known for publishing falsehoods and spreading hoaxes." was first added by Snooganssnoogans (on 24 Feb 2017), and then media outlets picked up the phrase from Wikipedia. So it could potentially be a case of citogenesis.

If this theory is true, how does one explain this WaPo article on Jan 20 2017, with the headline Blog known for spreading hoaxes says it will have a correspondent in Trump White House? The Gateway Pundit WP article was only created on 25 Jan 2017, so it could not have been the source.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:54 pm

Kingsindian wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:06 pm
If I understand correctly, you're saying that the phrase "known for publishing falsehoods and spreading hoaxes." was first added by Snooganssnoogans (on 24 Feb 2017), and then media outlets picked up the phrase from Wikipedia. So it could potentially be a case of citogenesis.

If this theory is true, how does one explain this WaPo article on Jan 20 2017, with the headline Blog known for spreading hoaxes says it will have a correspondent in Trump White House? The Gateway Pundit WP article was only created on 25 Jan 2017, so it could not have been the source.
Again, you're nitpicking and trying to argue technicalities rather than address the fundamental point, which is so deftly explained that this can only be viewed as a distraction. If you aren't going to come here and try to discuss this piece honestly, but instead engage in petty point-scoring for your "side" then there is no point in you commenting.

Edit: Just worth mentioning I found two other articles. One from Vice that explicitly cites the Berkman study that plainly copied their phrasing from Wikipedia and also Huffington Post has a description that is very similar to the articles on Wintrich and Gateway Pundit.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:51 am

Marek showed in the WO thread and he seems to be accusing me of being GG_Number_9 on reddit. As far as I can tell, his sole reason for thinking this is that said account has posted some of my pieces to WikiInAction. If he showed a little more care in making his accusations he would notice that this person only posted my content after it appeared on KotakuInAction a Gamergate (GG) subreddit. The person posting my stuff on KotakuInAction is someone I was friendly with on the Escapist forums. This is not the only false claim Marek makes without much care for accuracy. He states "the dude got banned from Wikipedia for being an asshole in disputes, then for harassing the shit out of the people who he was in disputes with off wiki and he STILL can't let shit go." So much of that is false that it is better to just point back to my own write-up of it.

What is truly remarkable about this flurry of bogus accusations is that he starts off this post by saying my piece was me being my "usual lying piece of shit self." As usual, he didn't identify a single falsehood in the entire piece, let alone something he could present as a deliberate falsehood. That he follows this baseless claim of lies up with numerous false allegations that he knew were not even remotely supported by whatever minimal evidence he was using as his basis, even if he didn't know the allegations were false, is just further projection. At times I do wonder what motivates his outbursts. Outside Jake, most of the other people who criticize me or the things I write I can understand where their comments are coming from despite thinking they are misguided. Perhaps what set him off are my comments about this edit he made. Yet that is also troubling as Marek must understand the hypocritical double standard evidenced in that edit compared to his edits about CNN and that such an edit would violate the BLP policy.