What is that ArbComm for?

Arbitration Committee activities and elections, Requests for Comment, and Requests for Administration.
Renée Bagslint

What is that ArbComm for?

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Two cases before ArbComm at the moment point up how far Wikipedia is from being an encyclopaedia, and how far the Arbitration Committee is from being of any use.

In Questionable BLP reverts by blocked editors th Committee is actually asked to consider whether BLP violations have to be reinstated if the person removing them is a blocked user evading their block. I suppose this would make sense if you admit that Wikipedia is a MMORPG, but for something that claims to be an encyclopaedia? Really? You actually prefer to have misinformation in it? Of course you do!

In German war effort of 1939–45 the Arbitration Committee consider that they are not competent to determine whether articles on German forces are unduly sympathetic to their Nazi sympathies because that would be content, not conduct. Oh dear me! Taking responsibility for the content of an encyclopaedia? We can't have that!

Proabivouac

Re: What is that ArbComm for?

Post by Proabivouac » Tue May 01, 2018 1:23 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:53 pm
In German war effort of 1939–45 the Arbitration Committee consider that they are not competent to determine whether articles on German forces are unduly sympathetic to their Nazi sympathies because that would be content, not conduct. Oh dear me! Taking responsibility for the content of an encyclopaedia? We can't have that!
Yet they are competent to render authoritative moral judgment upon complete strangers, and more generally to determine what-must-be-done. Earnest research is just as possible for them as it is for academic scholars, but they don't want to do the work. And I don't blame them for that much, because they are not paid. I do blame them for accepting a position they have no intention of performing competently, and for the unseemly pleasure they derive from lording over and rendering judgment upon others, and for the ego boost they receive from being admired by more junior wikipedos. Besides the few on track to to turn wiki into a paying gig, why else would they do it?

Besides, let's face it, they do rule on content and that's what they will do here, especially as ACTUAL NAZIS are involved. How can one resist? They will just claim that it is based upon behavior, but one can always reframe it so. In the simplest form, we are not ruling on content Y, we are ruling on whether or not people can add content Y.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:41 am

The proposed decision on the German war effort case was due yesterday, 7th July, after one extension already taken. Apparently another extension is now necessary. I suppose that actually writing an encyclopaedia, with all that knowledge of history, and historiography, and actual expertise, and stuff, is harder than it first appeared to a bunch of amateurs amusing themselves by playing at being Supreme Court justices.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:41 am
The proposed decision on the German war effort case was due yesterday, 7th July, after one extension already taken. Apparently another extension is now necessary. I suppose that actually writing an encyclopaedia, with all that knowledge of history, and historiography, and actual expertise, and stuff, is harder than it first appeared to a bunch of amateurs amusing themselves by playing at being Supreme Court justices.
Alternately, the delays – which are routine – are at some level deliberate. It is unpleasant enough for others so that if they were following the golden rule, they would post more realistic decision dates, or just work more diligently to meet them. But the nerve-racked squirming which tortures those hauled before them is likely pleasurable to them. Every new day that others hang upon their words affirms their power and importance, as well their immunity to their own edicts and standards, which is the whole reason they like the job to begin with.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:43 pm

I think that is perfectly possible -- indeed, I dont think the explanations are at all incompatible. Obviously some people are stll genuinely under the delusion that they are trying to write an encylopaedia, and others have passed through that to the understanding that they are just playing a game in which one object is to humiliate and otherwise torment your opponents. But I suspect that there is also a doublethink that allows the worst of the addicts to somehow hold these thoughts at the same time:
George Orwell wrote:His mind slid away into the labyrinthine world of doublethink. To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself — that was the ultimate subtlety; consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:41 am
a bunch of amateurs amusing themselves by playing at being Supreme Court justices.
:lol: yes nailed it.
Proabivouac wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:26 pm
Every new day that others hang upon their words affirms their power and importance, as well their immunity to their own edicts and standards, which is the whole reason they like the job to begin with.
:mrgreen:

yeah that's all this is. A bunch of dorks amusing themselves by playing an online game. It might as well be a council of level 60 dwarf warriors on World of Warcraft for all the legitimacy it has.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:04 pm

The proposed decision has been posted. They've reframed the entire dispute as harassment:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... d_decision

The diffs provided in support of this interpretation show an extraordinary degree of creativity on the part of the drafting arbitrators:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ther_users

Let's just ignore that articles such as "[Myth of the] Clean Wehrmacht" and "The Rommel Myth" are deliberately and inherently polemical and unencyclopedic.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:32 am

I think one interesting feature of this particular proposal is that it has been drafted by someone who clearly disagrees with much of what he has written. This makes it even more useless than it might have been otherwise -- and that's very useless indeed.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:12 am

Put yourself in the shoes of a historian trying to write about some basic facts, some of which are referenced to contemporary German sources. Then this K e coffmann dude comes around and blanks everything saying, you can't trust anything those Germans write, and the very fact of writing about this stuff in "excessive detail," also known as detail, glorifies Nazism (and maybe you are a Nazi?) It's well-poisoning at its finest.

All in all, it's just another of so many examples of ArbCom putting its finger to the wind and asking what they won't be politically criticized for, rather than what is just, what is good scholarship or even what is best for the project. Now that Wikipedia has been publically accused of being pro-Nazi, crawling with Nazis really, they have to disprove that and banning some powerless pseud is the easiest way to accomplish it.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:35 pm

Like the proverbial rustic, "I wouldn't start from here if I were you". Let's just note that with a projected income next FY of $93 million, the WMF could afford to assemble a panel of a hundred scholars to sort out issues, which are essentially about how to write articles, and still have 90% of their income to spend on other things. For some reason, they choose not to do this.