WM France (chapter)

Wikimedia fundraising, financial issues (and improprieties), expenditures, contracting, and corporate relations.
sashi

WM France (chapter)

Post by sashi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:40 am

Well, a lot of folks are sending the WMFrance power structure "get well" cards after some recent bad press / scandals, and some of us are curious about different cultures out there in the wiki-world I think. It looks like they've found a taf-o-phile president (a lover of work not of graveyards, I suppose ^^), some new members, some older ones, and one that noticed that if you write the board's bio you can give everyone's age but your own. (Bien joué!)

Here's the new board:

https://lists.gt.net/wiki/foundation/847068
The *remaining* members of the previous Board announced their intention to accompany the transition before leaving.
(emphasis added)

Flip Flopped

Re: WM France (chapter)

Post by Flip Flopped » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:05 am

Thanks, Sashi!

sashi

Post by sashi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:55 pm

Flip Flopped

Post by Flip Flopped » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:22 pm

sashi wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:55 pm
Tongues are coming untied...
Okay. That is a bombshell. The WMF and named staff seem to have directly contributed to a climate of fear and abuse that has drastically impacted the lives of at least two volunteer board members. Really, please, read this link.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 am

Knowing nothing about this other than reading her own email, it looks to me like this Marie-Alice Mathis is a nutjob.

If I understand this correctly, she thinks that chapter board members should be allowed to bring legal action against former board members and not be required to inform the WMF parent organization. This seems unreasonable to me.

Her email is full of hyperbole like "violence" and how this is impacting her health. Step away from the computer if you're that upset. Jeez.
Marie-Alice Mathis wrote:The transition with the newly elected members of the Board is now complete and I gladly step down to get away from the violence, exhaustion and frustration of these past few months.
Marie-Alice Mathis wrote:In the WMF "Grant expectations" document sent to the Board of WMFr, you
mention as a condition for APG funds payment that I do not resign from my
position on the Board until the governance review is complete, and that any
Board member planning to resign must report and justify it to WMF.

You also mention that you retain the right to cease funding WMFr if you
consider that legal threats are being used inappropriately to stifle civil
and appropriate participation in the chapter. Moreover, you condition
payment to being informed if the chapter leadership feels that legal action
is appropriate to take against current or former board members or staff.

Let me be clear: these conditions are outrageous and unacceptable.

sashi

Post by sashi » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 pm

Auggie wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:12 am
Knowing nothing about this other than reading her own email, it looks to me like this Marie-Alice Mathis is a nutjob.

If I understand this correctly, she thinks that chapter board members should be allowed to bring legal action against former board members and not be required to inform the WMF parent organization.
Marie-Alice Mathis wrote: Moreover, you condition payment to being informed if the chapter leadership feels that legal action is appropriate to take against current or former board members or staff.
I don't think that's exactly what she's saying, but it all seems very unhealthy. What she is, quite clearly, saying does suggest that the WMF exercises financial control over its subsidiary, which is a statutory problem for an association claiming to be independent. Christopher Henner (and the WikiMooc on France Université Numérique) go to great pains to establish that the association WM France is not a subsidiary of the WMF (this is important for legal reasons), and yet, the WMF cutting their budget in half does rather seem to be evidence of holding a controlling interest...

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:58 pm

sashi wrote:
I don't think that's exactly what she's saying, but it all seems very unhealthy. What she is, quite clearly, saying does suggest that the WMF exercises financial control over its subsidiary, which is a statutory problem for an association claiming to be independent. Christopher Henner (and the WikiMooc on France Université Numérique) go to great pains to establish that the association WM France is not a subsidiary of the WMF (this is important for legal reasons), and yet, the WMF cutting their budget in half does rather seem to be evidence of holding a controlling interest...
That is correct. In our old fashioned Code Napoléon legal system a judge will look first what happens in practice, and after that to paperwork like terms of use, statutes, etc. So, if you claim to be independent from WMF, Wikipedia, you have to be independent! Otherwise the judge will declare your paperwork invalid. He has that competence, and also if he find something not reasonable. A judge is free to do what ever he wants, within the borders of the law!
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!