Katherine Maher, executive director Wikimedia Foundation

Wikimedia fundraising, financial issues (and improprieties), expenditures, contracting, and corporate relations.
The Devil's Advocate

Re: Katherine Maher, executive director Wikimedia Foundation

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:54 am

Auggie wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:26 pm
Let's see how far she takes this. Will she make Zuckerberg-style promises to crack down on "fake news" and spin?

Prediction: a purge of the admin corps.
The whole PR marketing sham being pushed by the Foundation right now is that Wikipedia has no fake news problem. Maher's comments are very much in that strain, but it is bogus to everyone who knows much about the site. Her campaign is not about changing anything, but rather about preserving and trumpeting the status quo.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:45 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:54 am
Her campaign is not about changing anything, but rather about preserving and trumpeting the status quo.
There's been no substantial change since the reign of Jimbo. No one since has even pretended to be the leader of the site, except on their resumés of course. It might well have been better if Jimbo had control, since at least his ego was tied up in it to some extent and at one time he actively participated, leaving basically when and because it was no longer his baby. His successors have not just been grifters, but nothing besides grifters.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:33 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:54 am
The whole PR marketing sham being pushed by the Foundation right now is that Wikipedia has no fake news problem. Maher's comments are very much in that strain, but it is bogus to everyone who knows much about the site. Her campaign is not about changing anything, but rather about preserving and trumpeting the status quo.
Worse than that -- not only is Wikipedia immune from fake news by the magic of crowd-sourcing, according to the current line, but it is actually the answer to fake news, except that they need more money to do it at scale. Here "they" means the WMF, not the volunteers, who seem happy to contribute their labour for free, for reasons not germane to this particular thread.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:01 am

And in a stunning display of irony, Katherine retweets about an article on "Predatory Philanthropists". Can she possibly be unaware that the WMF exactly fits the description? Perhaps it's a cry for help.
While I was writing, a lot of people who run those kind of charities wouldn’t talk to me. But as soon as the book was a wrap, they all came to me and said, "You have no idea. This is not even the half of it."

Who will rescue Katherine from this terrible fate?

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:32 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:01 am
And in a stunning display of irony, Katherine retweets about an article on "Predatory Philanthropists". Can she possibly be unaware that the WMF exactly fits the description? Perhaps it's a cry for help.
While I was writing, a lot of people who run those kind of charities wouldn’t talk to me. But as soon as the book was a wrap, they all came to me and said, "You have no idea. This is not even the half of it."

Who will rescue Katherine from this terrible fate?
It's an interesting topic, how a lot of philantropy does more harm than good. For example, look at the mess in Haiti. It is difficult for local businesses to get going because foreigners are dumping free goods and services on the island. It is a recipe for long term poverty and dependence.

Of course Wikipedia itself is a horrible offender. They've completely disincentivized the creation of reference content. Anyone who donates their time or money to Wikipedia is actively destroying knowledge and making the world a dumber place.

sashi

Post by sashi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:45 pm

I think it's based on dreams of conscription: knowledge as inter-national service, do your matriotic duty!

In any case, that's a good article, Renée.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:46 pm

Katherine has been appointed to the Board of Directors of DPLA, the Digital Public Library of America. Glad to hear she has the time to fit in between her travels.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 pm

Katherine's twitter feed is always revealing, but never more so than today. For one thing she seems to have renamed herself Katherine Muahahar, but there's a series of posts apologising for getting something wrong. I think this is about having failed to notice the gender gap in contributors to Wikipedia, but it's so smothered in gobbledegook that it's hard to be sure.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:01 pm

Muahahar wrote:The issues of notability, gatekeeping, and contributor bias are absolutely real. We talk about them so much I made an error of not acknowledging them as part of the baseline, into which you then add lack of secondary source production. It’s a dizzying array of structural issues.
wow it's like a parody of corporate speak. She only missed the word "synergize".

Funny how the structural issues are a "dizzying array" to her. It's obvious she has complete contempt for the nuts and bolts of making a wiki encyclopedia work. Like please don't bother her with this shit. Or maybe I am reading too much into a twitter post. :lol:

sashi

Post by sashi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:56 pm

Smallbones was impressed enough with Gizbert's interview of Maher that he decided it was a notable addition to the former's BLP. (§)