Katherine Maher, executive director Wikimedia Foundation

Wikimedia fundraising, financial issues (and improprieties), expenditures, contracting, and corporate relations.
Auggie

Katherine Maher, executive director Wikimedia Foundation

Post by Auggie » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Responding to EarlStatler's statement about Maher being put in her position as Executive Director.
EarlStatler wrote:And WMF is using false credentials, and I am sure they know. And in my opinion it's total contempt of woman what they do with Katherine Maher. Take a attractive young woman, give here 250K, put here giggling and flirted on a stage, and let here tell cheap lies.

Why not a bit older, wise woman who knows what she is talking about? Who is that 250K worth?
Well let's see. Jimmy is 51 now so he would have been about 36 when Wikipedia got started. Maher is 34.

I'm not so much against her age or her looks/mannerisms but I don't think she brings much to the table. Her resume is really weak, consisting of a bunch of bouncing around from one nonprofit to another. She hardly ever spent more than a year or two anywhere. How are we supposed to expect her to have any long-term vision?

Likewise her education is not very extensive. For this level position I would expect either a really impressive work experience, which she doesn't have, or a doctorate in something relevant.

She doesn't seem like she even recognizes the problem. At least Jimmy was savvy enough to hire Larry Sanger to be the "brains" and lend some credibility to the enterprise.

Right now I see Wikipedia as being completely run by nonprofit money-raising experts with little or no attachment to the vision of the community. The appointment of Maher as leader is proof.

EarlStatler

Re: Katherine Maher, executive director Wikimedia Foundation

Post by EarlStatler » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:29 pm

It's not here age, it's her attitude. Her presentation is so unprofessional. She does't know what Wikipedia is, it is certainly no a fact checkers project, what Kinsindian pointed out, Wikipedia is totally inadequate for the purpose of fighting “fake news" and she does't know were those studies she cites are about. Her presentation in general is weak, and this has nothing to do she is a woman. If it was a man I had said the same.

And if you want a woman as chairman, what's of course is fine, select a woman with the right background. Because aggie is right, complete WMF and Wikimedia is focused on nonprofit money-raising, and nothing else. And she too. To spend that money in the most foolish way, with huge salaries for complete incompetent people. And what I said before, what Mahler is doing is a insult to women, with here giggling and flirting and not knowing were it's about.
And it end up in a one way road to the ravine, because this ends up in a drama.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

Flip Flopped

Post by Flip Flopped » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:14 pm

She's a huge step down from Gardner and Tretikov. On the other hand I don't think people who have actually accomplished much would want to run the WMF. I wouldn't expect anyone with a doctorate in a position like that, mostly because it's not a good fit for the job. I would expect someone with a real track record of success--notable success. But those kinds of people know to flee the WMF as Sicore and Tretikov did.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:31 am

And the warning of Gardner are we complete forgotten. Flip makes a fair point, people who have actually accomplished much would want to run the WMF. They have seen what happend to Tretikov, and you are only a marionette of WMF. It's the same story, if Maher rebellious she is out whit a super SanFanBan. So, the job pays 250K, but that job can be the end of your career because if the complete card house collapses, what of courses happens one day, she is lucky if she find a job as toilet attendant afterwards..............

Flip Flopped

Post by Flip Flopped » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:02 pm

EarlStatler wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:31 am
And the warning of Gardner are we complete forgotten. Flip makes a fair point, people who have actually accomplished much would want to run the WMF. They have seen what happend to Tretikov, and you are only a marionette of WMF. It's the same story, if Maher rebellious she is out whit a super SanFanBan. So, the job pays 250K, but that job can be the end of your career because if the complete card house collapses, what of courses happens one day, she is lucky if she find a job as toilet attendant afterwards..............
Nice reminder of Gardner's warning, Graaf. I'm not sure where Tretikov ended up, but her stint at the WMF really set her career back.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:19 am

O yeh for sure. It's much better not to have WMF in your CV. And for our Katherine, there is always a shortish of toilet attendant, so she doesn't have to be afraid here career ends up by WMF.

sashi

Post by sashi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:52 pm

y'all underestimate her just a wee bit, no? ^^

https://cyber.harvard.edu/events/2017/luncheon/10/Maher

Graaf, what do you know about this meltdown on Greek wikipedia she's referring to?

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:57 pm

Do I? She would fit very well into a hippie community, she is born in the wrong deccade. See everything in te positive way with pink glasses on your nose. It's a hippy girl, make love, not war.
I don't know the Greek Wiki, Sashi, but what I do know is the Greek mentality. And for sure something like Wikipedia does't fit in that mentality, so it wouldn't surprise me if it is burned down.
Our Katherine and WMF in general has no idea what happens on Wiki's in different languages. They project WP-EN on such a wiki, listen to the positive shit stories of a small group Wikimedia members of the local chapter, and like parrots they repeat that vision. Good faith you know. In the meantime they are scammed by that amazing Wikipedains who trolled everybody out they don't like, but the hippy girl with here pink glasses doesn't notice that.

But what other carrière did you have for here in mind? Because toilet attendant fits a naive hippie girl perfect in my opinion.

sashi

Post by sashi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:59 pm

A carrière is a quarry. I suppose she's mining information. (cf. Roger Waters "Who Needs Information?" Radio KaOS)

(but given the hour you'd better listen under the Cone of Silence )

I'll go out on a limb and say that I don't think she's the problem with the WMF.

I guess we'll see if the courts decide to flush the WMF as you predict over licensing and legal shell games, propaganda during elections, etc.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:05 am

I don't consider courts decide as important. I think I in my whole live two times the police stopped me for a alcohol test, but does that mean I that I may drink what I want if I have to drive? That is a wrong mentality of WMF, we do what we want, and wait if someone stared a court case.
I have never seen a speed controle in my street, so I can drive one hundred kilometers per hour in a street were children are playing? I don't think so!

What me wonders the most is that the executive director of the Wikimedia Foundation and a Harvard Law School Professor are babbling a bit, and me, a stand builder without any serious education is talking about the European copy right laws. And, if I do so, everybody tries to let me shut up. blocks, I get a SanFanBAn's, it ends up in WMF trolling, name it.

Why don't they let a confused psychotic idiot, what I am according to them are, not in peace on Wikiquote-NL with two users, and a blog of nothing like WR-2 was?

Strange, don't you think?