CNN Blackmail Controversy and WP:NOTNEWS

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
The Devil's Advocate

CNN Blackmail Controversy and WP:NOTNEWS

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:23 pm

I posted something to Medium on the CNN Blackmail Controversy and how it was handled on Wikipedia relative to the Not News policy. Also referenced are a lot of political coatracks created by Casprings, including the recent one involving "Donald Trump’s disclosure of classified information to Russia" that was discussed on the ProBoards WR before the takedown. Originally, this was planned as a Breitbart piece and submitted back in July, but it never made it to press.

sashi

Re: CNN Blackmail Controversy and WP:NOTNEWS

Post by sashi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Don't know if you follow RS/N TDA, but this is amusing: When Reliable Sources Publish Fake News. It looks like the Snoog got that onto the wikileaks page before Cap'n Raju had to retract his story. lol

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:08 am

Saw the discussion, though I didn't catch that Snoog had added the article to one of the related pages. I would say there is a reasonable argument to disallow breaking news reports as source, but I'd argue there is also plenty of reason to dispute that any news outlet can be generally trusted. Many of the "best" news outlets have made easily refuted claims that have gone uncorrected for years, including some that remain uncorrected. They are never gonna do that, because if they did it would probably eliminate most of the content they have on Wikipedia.

sashi

Post by sashi » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Yes, but I find it interesting how little the cabalista like Wikileaks. Maybe it's this: https://wikileaks.org/wiki/Wikipediamet ... tors,_2009

Who knows?

Kalki seems too busy for WikiQuote these days. Wonder what they're up to. ^^

Goldschmidt

Post by Goldschmidt » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:38 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:08 am
Saw the discussion, though I didn't catch that Snoog had added the article to one of the related pages. I would say there is a reasonable argument to disallow breaking news reports as source, but I'd argue there is also plenty of reason to dispute that any news outlet can be generally trusted. Many of the "best" news outlets have made easily refuted claims that have gone uncorrected for years, including some that remain uncorrected. They are never gonna do that, because if they did it would probably eliminate most of the content they have on Wikipedia.
This is very true. There are so many examples, some bigger than others. I bet you could find examples of this almost on an hourly basis if you tried.