BLP inclusion discussion, GorillaWarfare

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Renée Bagslint

Re: Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

Post by Renée Bagslint » Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm

In a further slide down the slippery slope, Molly White reopens a discussion on the ArbComm. So given a real live arbitrator on the forum to challenge, what is the topic of discussion? Whether or not Molly was appointed as a "female" or as a "woman". Molly's point, that arbitrators are all totally amateur so they end up with people who for some reason (too young, too old or too useless) have plenty of time on their hands goes unaddressed. How about asking why having totally amateur arbitrators is a good idea, or why the amateurs aren't given some basic training in their job, courtesy of the Foundations millions? No, let's let her pre-empt all such discussions with this fake taking of offense.

sashi

Post by sashi » Tue May 15, 2018 8:57 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm
Molly's point, that arbitrators are all totally amateur so they end up with people who for some reason (too young, too old or too useless) have plenty of time on their hands goes unaddressed. How about asking why having totally amateur arbitrators is a good idea, or why the amateurs aren't given some basic training in their job [...]
Actually the category she mentioned that I found most intriguing was independently wealthy, i.e. "those who don't need to work".

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 am

She forgot to list those who are paid by third parties to control Wikipedia.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed May 16, 2018 6:29 am

All good points. Telling, though, that the Wikipediocrats, having a real live high priestess of the cult deigning to drop by and talk to them, can't think of anything to challenge her about. It seems clear that the appetite to criticise, let alone challenge, Wikipedia has entirely vanished from that site.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Wed May 16, 2018 6:56 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:29 am
All good points. Telling, though, that the Wikipediocrats, having a real live high priestess of the cult deigning to drop by and talk to them, can't think of anything to challenge her about. It seems clear that the appetite to criticise, let alone challenge, Wikipedia has entirely vanished from that site.
To be fair, if Wikimedia's fundraising covergirl stopped by my place, I too would probably think of something to discuss besides WIkipedia criticism.

sashi

Post by sashi » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 am

Has the cat got your tongue, Renée? I guess I don't see the point reading there, then writing here to criticize people for not writing there. Have you been blocked at WPO?

I appreciated your résumé of the criticism I've made over there concerning rights to privacy and copyright. (It was very concise and effective.)

Salvidrim

Post by Salvidrim » Wed May 16, 2018 2:58 pm

sashi wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 8:57 pm
Renée Bagslint wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm
Molly's point, that arbitrators are all totally amateur so they end up with people who for some reason (too young, too old or too useless) have plenty of time on their hands goes unaddressed. How about asking why having totally amateur arbitrators is a good idea, or why the amateurs aren't given some basic training in their job [...]
Actually the category she mentioned that I found most intriguing was independently wealthy, i.e. "those who don't need to work".
There's probably some overlap between "older" and "financially self-sufficient", I think at least three of the last slate were retired gentlemen.
:!:

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Wed May 16, 2018 6:18 pm

haha that's funny Kumi calls her a useless arbitrator and says all she does is go with the flow and her only response is a link to twitter because he used the word "female" instead of "woman".

So classic Wikipedian right there. Completely ignore the substance of what the other person is saying. Just go into adversarial mode and pick out one tiny piece of it to criticize.

I suppose she's mildly right that woman would be the better term, but a) She just shut down a dialogue for no good reason other than semantics and b) Do we even know if Kumi is a native English speaker? If not, I find it kind of jerky of her to be making him feel bad about such a subtle language distinction. Having tried to learn foreign languages myself, I know I sound like a complete jackass when I try to speak or write them. It's really uncool to throw snarky twitter links at people when they slightly misuse a word just because you want to appear smarter or shut down their argument.

The same thing happens every time we see an arb out in the wild. They just don't know how to act among civilized humans. They're so Wikipedian, it's almost comical.

Of course Kumi is kind of stupid to imply she's there as a token woman. Maybe she was right to shut him down but that was not the best way.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 pm

I don't think it was stupid of Kumioko at all. Back when GW first ran, Risker had declined running again and she was the only female (oh no, watch out!) admin running. Several of the voter guides specifically mentioned her being a woman as a reason to vote for her. At the time, I noted she seemed incompetent and her actions over her tenure only confirmed as much to me.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:10 pm
I don't think it was stupid of Kumioko at all. Back when GW first ran, Risker had declined running again and she was the only female (oh no, watch out!) admin running. Several of the voter guides specifically mentioned her being a woman as a reason to vote for her. At the time, I noted she seemed incompetent and her actions over her tenure only confirmed as much to me.
Incompetent for ArbCom? How can there be such a thing?

ArbCom is a kangaroo court full of dummies lording over other dummies. Super tedious and stupid. A huge demotivator and drain on the project.

Do you have any examples of her incompetence?