Secret control systems of Wikipedia

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Auggie

Secret control systems of Wikipedia

Post by Auggie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:07 pm

Here is a quote from the Encyc article about Wikipedia. It was also fair use quoted in the book Common Knowledge?: An Ethnography of Wikipedia, by Dariusz Jemielniak (aka user:Pundit).
Encyc wrote:Secret communications

Sophisticated control systems are in place to make sure that the content on Wikipedia remains aligned with Jimbo Wales' vision. Superficially, Wikipedia appears to be very transparent, with visitors being able to see contribution histories and talk pages of every user. There are large areas of Wikipedia devoted to mock judicial proceedings and various processes, policies, discussions.

However, behind the scenes, Jimbo and a small group of administrators control the site through the use of mailing lists. The Arbitration Committee has a private mailing list, and there are the Wikimedia "internal-l" and "private-l" mailing lists. There is also the IRC "admins" channel. One administrator, Durova, became famous when her "sleuthing" mailing list became exposed. On it, Wikipedians attempted to identify users of multiple accounts by poring over the personal information of users of the site.
So what do you think? Does this still hold true?

What are the secret ways that elite Wikipedians use to maintain control?

Flip Flopped

Re: Secret control systems of Wikipedia

Post by Flip Flopped » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:00 pm

Creepy wiki-sleuthing no doubt continues. I think power moves between connected insiders. When insiders lose power they often leave, but not always (e.g., SlimVirgin).

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:37 pm

Did SlimVirgin lose power? I might have missed that. Last time I looked, Wikipedia:Verifyability was still the law of the land.

Flip Flopped

Post by Flip Flopped » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Auggie wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:37 pm
Did SlimVirgin lose power? I might have missed that. Last time I looked, Wikipedia:Verifyability was still the law of the land.
I've heard that she used to be much more influential. I don't think she has any toadies trying to enforce her will. Strelnikov wrote a blog post about her, last year (I think).

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Oh yes back in the day she had a bunch of toadies and could run you off if she wanted. She had far and away the largest number of threads created about her on Wikipedia Review of any admin. http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?showforum=43

There were all kinds of theories about her being an international spy or something. She also ran afoul of HerschelKrustofsky for keeping LaRouche stuff under control.

I briefly had a conflict with her over some fairly minor stuff, and found it easier to just walk away. Doubtless if I had kept at it she would have squashed me.

Joe Hazelton

Post by Joe Hazelton » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Slim Virgin was psycho

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:19 pm

I guess. She was very good at gaming the system.