Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Renée Bagslint

Re: Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

Post by Renée Bagslint » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:23 pm

A rather puzzling new editorial stance from a site admin:
Midsize Joke wrote:You have to feel the love, man. It's what's in your heart, in your very soul. You have to be able to say to yourself, "okay, I don't like these people, I don't like what they do, I don't like what they stand for... but right now I'm going to dig down deep in my heart and this time I'm not going to belittle them, or insult them, or call them stupid names for some different-to-me characteristic they were just born with, and never asked for, and in some cases have suffered for needlessly their whole lives - and I will restrain myself because I am not a hate-filled monster, I am not what they paint me out to be. I have love in my heart, and the face I show to the world will reflect and demonstrate that love, and maybe, just maybe, the world will see it and love me back."
I don't know what it means (although I can guess what chemicals were being inhaled at the time) but it seems to be taking the site in a whole new direction. But then we come to
Midsize Joke also wrote:That's what you have to feel, and yes, you're right, at your age it's not going to be easy.
Yes, don't you just hate old people? Why, some of them probably even voted for Trump!

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Anyway, Renee, I can't vote for Trump as a Dutchman. An I have the feeling most republicans are sick an tired of Trump too. And don't care what Jake is, American politics are not in my field of interest. And I don't think Jake has something against old people. And what is old, Renee, the devil is old we say in Holland.

There is at the moment a live reportage about Jaap van Zweden on the Dutch television. I have met him in the past, nice guy. He is a conductor at the Dallas Symphony orchestra. And they show us very, very much about Dallas, his daughter is living there too.
The only thing I can say I am impressed! If I was young I think I had absolute spend a time there, maybe spent the rest of my life there. Ah, Renee, America is just like the sea my mother always said to me, it will wash clean again. But of course she loved the Americans so much for liberating Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaap_van_Zweden
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:31 pm

EarlStatler wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:07 pm
And I don't think Jake has something against old people.
That was not the impression I got from the quote I gave.
America is just like the sea my mother always said to me, it will wash clean again. But of course she loved the Americans so much for liberating Europe.
I don't mean to criticise your mother, but I do hope she realised that the British had somthing to do with it too.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:02 am

She absolute did! My "uncle John", a English submarine commander who had docked in the harbour of Amsterdam has always one of the best friends of the family, I have still contact with his sun. He saved the life of my grandmother, she was in a extreem bad condition and he brought here food and a doctor. And the Scottish with there bagpipes on De Dam in Amsterdam, the Canadian, I have heard the story's over and over.
And Jake, I like Jake, yes I do. He has real good humor and is honest.
Last edited by EarlStatler on Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:05 am

Glad to hear it!

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:09 am

The war has been terrible, for every nation. Also for the Germans, don't forget that. Dresden, and how many young Germans has died too who had nothing to do with nazism. The bombing of Dresden was absoluut a warcrime, it had not any strategic goal.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:35 am

I can't say it's got any better since Eric Corbett arrived. Just watching him being mean-spirited to all and sundry is enough to put me off my breakfast. More to the point, it's not criticism and gets in the way of whatever real criticism is left there. Which is precious little.

Eric has obviously decided that Graaf is a suitable target for bullying. I'm guessing that Eric's evident ambition to get rid of Graaf will bear fruit soon.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:57 pm

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:12 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:57 pm
... as predicted.
:lol: yes quite the battle going over there. Eric has really got the Wikipedian act perfected, particularly the know-it-all attitude and willingness to argue endlessly over the most petty crap. I salute him.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:26 am

Midsize Jackass wrote:You have to feel the love, man. It's what's in your heart, in your very soul. You have to be able to say to yourself, "okay, I don't like these people, I don't like what they do, I don't like what they stand for... but right now I'm going to dig down deep in my heart and this time I'm not going to belittle them, or insult them, or call them stupid names for some different-to-me characteristic they were just born with, and never asked for, and in some cases have suffered for needlessly their whole lives - and I will restrain myself because I am not a hate-filled monster, I am not what they paint me out to be. I have love in my heart, and the face I show to the world will reflect and demonstrate that love, and maybe, just maybe, the world will see it and love me back."
Sounds like Mad Cow disease. I am really sorry that Somey is going through this. Should we a start a GoFundMe? How much does it cost to cure BSE, any ideas?