Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Auggie

Re: Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

Post by Auggie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:12 pm

EarlStatler wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:55 pm
@ Aggie, you really did you make me laugh in this topic. Only I am not sure if the climate in England is not better at the end.
Because in Greece sometimes I was tired of the sun and the heath.
But anyway we don't have so much rain in Holland as in England. I'll post in the coming weeks some pictures of Holland in the spring, so you can see how extreem beautiful Holland is in spring. But for the rest a I agree, it's tragic.
Thanks. Yes, I've been to England and Holland, though I missed tulip season. I think I was there in the summer. And I agree, the sun gets old after the first week or two.

It's still amusing to poke fun at Jimmy and his dismal life choices.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:26 pm

Yeh, Jimmy. But I have to say he is making a good living out of his failed projects. Every project ends up in a drama, but Jimmy is OK. He is a kind of cork, he always keeps floating.
And yes, the tulip season has started, but it is still a bit to cold. But next week it will be nice weather.
You know what is perfect? Spring and summer in Holland, and in the autumn in Italy. Because that is what I like of Holland, 45 minutes to Germany whit your car, 60 minutes to Belgium, 6 hours driving to Paris, 8 hours to Switzerland. And England is a island, you need always that boat or the channel tunnel in France, it is more isolated. And has more rain of course.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 pm

Midsize Joke is certainy finding those new superpowers come in handy. It is now forbidden to say unwelcome things:
Somey wrote:You do that again and I'll just edit it out - this site is not going to be a lie factory.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Thu May 03, 2018 10:43 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 pm
Midsize Joke is certainy finding those new superpowers come in handy. It is now forbidden to say unwelcome things:
Somey wrote:You do that again and I'll just edit it out - this site is not going to be a lie factory.
Nice to see I wasn't the only one offended by this boorish threat. I found Cla68's comment somewhat facile and trite, but big deal, why didn't Midsize Jackass just argue like a normal person? Is he like this in real life, when someone says something with which he disagrees, he has to tackle them and gag them? Wikipowers have warped his character such that he can no longer get by as a coequal participant in a conversation.

As for "cultural marxism", I'm not sure if either Cla68 or Jackass used this phrase quite aptly, but the core of modern liberal stances on the "social issues" is deeply influenced by though not reducible to the theories advanced in Engels (1884,) immediately via de Beauvoir.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Fri May 04, 2018 5:47 am

Sounds like Somey's about to throw a rod over there:
Midsize Jackass wrote:
Auggie wrote: haha Somey mad. Since when is taking cheap shots at leftists against the rules?
That's not what he was doing. We used to ban people on Wikipedia Review for comparing Israelis to Nazis. This is actually worse, because in this case the people he's comparing to Nazis don't have a well-equipped army or nuclear weapons, and are in fact the ones being shot at, in some cases by actual Nazis.

Anybody who wants to feed us whatever false-equivalency bullshit they've designed to assuage their pampered-white-boy guilt or justify their racist cultural inferiority complex can do it on a website they own.
Does Somey actually own the site, or does he just control it through sysop powers?

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Fri May 04, 2018 6:58 am

We argued a lot about the whole "Israel" thing since Selina was always concerned about the site being seen as anti-Semitic due to the earlier co-founders like Igor Alexander and Blue Aardvark engaging in Holocaust denial. We couldn't even talk about articles about Israel without fearing censorship or bans. It was ludicrous. Especially with strong pro-Israel and anti-Israel factions on Wikipedia, how could we even discuss them without crossing into criticism of Israel? Remember Jayjg, for example? Then crazy pro-Israel Wikipedians would come over to WR and start accusing everyone of antisemitism. I remember getting accused of being antisemitic because I dared to say that criticism of the Israeli government does not equate to criticism of the Jewish people. It still makes me mad and brings up a lot of bad memories of old WR. I agree that Jake could have just verbally "whacked" Cla with some honest, frank truth without threats. He used to be better at that.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

sashi

Post by sashi » Fri May 04, 2018 11:55 am

Meanwhile, I gather Wikipedia's "List of French Jews" page which puts it directly at odds with French law is just par for the course, since it inspired precisely zero (direct) comment. Daniel Brandt's recent thread (and the places it leads) on the right to be forgotten by the Internet Archive bot is fascinating.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Fri May 04, 2018 6:57 pm

wow what a whackjob! I really wish he would come over here so we could talk man to man.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat May 05, 2018 6:32 am

Jake previously remarked that Wikipediocracy is non-partisan, but I think that exchange pretty strongly indicates this is not the case. Whatever one calls them, there is an undeniable contingent on the left that is becoming increasingly radical, is obsessed with identity, and also has a propensity for violent suppression of opposition. I would argue Stalin and Hitler were to some extent ideological kin and that would apply as well to this left-wing movement and the "alt-right" the media is so hysterical about, whose respective views can each be seen as rough analogues for the latter men's beliefs. However, Jake falls into the typical partisan line where such comparisons are unacceptable for those with whom he sympathizes, but are encouraged when it concerns his ideological antagonists.

Cla68 is right to suggest there is cause to be concerned, though I don't share the same deranged terror some have about these movements. No American political figure, in my estimation, can be seen as genuinely on the same scale as either of those foreign leaders and these movements are much more tempered in their activities. To my knowledge only one death can be attributed to the conflicts between these movements. Neither are at immediate risk of rising to political power. However, each provides a convenient enemy for the more moderate ruling factions and can be pointed to as a way to cement factional loyalty from the masses. Some of their ideas are also quite useful and of interest to these parties. For the mainstream left, stifling "bigotry" is a convenient way to stifle their right-wing opponents online and offline as you can cast pretty much anything as bigotry these days. On the right, politics focused on "blood and soil" rallies their base behind immigration restrictions that prevent a long-term increase in the size of the left's voting base.

By suggesting Cla68's criticism is not permitted and even potentially racist he is doing a good job of illustrating how WO is politically compromised.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat May 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Indeed, this illustrates quite well why nobody of any sense would want to participate in a discussion on a board with an admin like Midsize Jukebox. We read "the current political situation has far-reaching implications that affect Wikipedia-related matters which therefore makes it nearly impossible for us to insulate ourselves from it", so that all discussions on that board -- even when participants make a desperate effort to drag them back towards Wikipedia, Wikimedia and the Foundation -- are inherently political, and further, that "we're not going to be carrying that BS here", "that BS" being, roughly speaking, anything that Jakes disagrees with. A discussion in which one of the participants has the ability, and the avowed intention, to delete anything not consistent with their point of view is quite pointless.