Suckswatch

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Renée Bagslint

Suckswatch

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:21 pm

There's quite a well-populated thread on WO but nothing so far on Wikipedia Sucks!. Any comments?

Auggie

Re: Suckswatch

Post by Auggie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:20 am

They are ok for a visit now and then. Sometimes i get the feeling everyone there is eric barbour. He should spend more time trying to write the book.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:01 am

Auggie wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:20 am
They are ok for a visit now and then. Sometimes i get the feeling everyone there is eric barbour. He should spend more time trying to write the book.
I'd thought everyone there was CrowsNest.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:26 am

Could be. I do like the pirate theme they have going.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:14 am

Proabivouac wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:01 am
I'd thought everyone there was CrowsNest.
Probably will be soon. CrowsNest is the only person I know of in the critical world who gets angry not only when you diagree with him (which is common, of course) but when you agree with him too. Anger is his default setting.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 pm

Eric Barbour is up to his usual, which is simmering hatred of Israel and the Jewish people. Out of all the things to worry about, he feels the most important is a tiny country halfway around the world. Notice also how he tries to scapegoat wealthy Jews and in particular the Sackler family for the opioid epidemic. Eric's Jewish obsession says much more about him than it does about Wikipedia.

https://www.wikipediasucks.co/forum/vie ... f=13&t=781

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:08 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:14 am
Probably will be soon. CrowsNest is the only person I know of in the critical world who gets angry not only when you diagree with him (which is common, of course) but when you agree with him too. Anger is his default setting.
Somewhere on that board is a thread dedicated to his contention that Wikipedia is anti-gay…

sashi

Post by sashi » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:59 am

Auggie wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 pm
Notice also how he tries to scapegoat wealthy Jews and in particular the Sackler family for the opioid epidemic.
1) Have you googled "Sackler valium" lately?
2) Have you looked at the Wikipedia entries he lists?

I was struck by the difference between the Raymond Sackler in the press and on en.wp when the story first broke, too. It hasn't changed much since.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:10 pm

Well don't you think it's informative that on an "Israel-related content" thread Eric goes off on rich drug-dealing American Jews with undue influence? He's a flaming anti-Semite. He barely even bothers to hide it anymore.

As for this Sackler stuff, I just read the New Yorker article. I'm going to take it with a grain of salt as it is no surprise that lawyers want a piece of their fortune. Author seems to have an axe to grind as he makes gratuitous mafia references and about a zillion moral judgements.

sashi

Post by sashi » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:31 pm

I was about a zillion miles from this doing follow-up on Strelnikov's post (looking into Korean newspapers on en.wp). I was reading Kim-Jong Un's sister's page at en.wp -- and wondering whether even she should have BLP rights concerning her private life -- when I stumbled onto quite an interesting article in the FT with tons of gratuitous Triadish/Yakuza-y references... ^^ Who needs the Sun when you've got en.wp & an enquiring mind?

I was amused to see that the word "rumors" didn't appear when citing Chosun Ilbo, who published...
Chosun Ilbo wrote:[...] rumors that her husband works for the Workers Party's Room 39...

source