ArbCom 2017 election

Discussion about the yearly Arbitration Committee elections.
The Devil's Advocate

ArbCom 2017 election

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:43 pm

The nominations are open, but so far nobody has thrown a hat into the ring. As far as the incumbents, so far the only real discussion about it has been on the talk page of our dear friend Drmies. Kelapstick indicates he does not intend to run again in that discussion, while Drmies himself is hemming and hawing about it. Several names for new blood were thrown out, though most soundly rejected the idea. TParis sort of rejected it, though it was a joking rejection so he could be a possible. Iridescent was thrown out several times and did not respond either way. Drmies may yet bow to pressure and run again should there not be enough warm bodies throwing themselves onto the spit. Suggested incumbents by Drmies include the possibly declining Kelapstick as well as GorillaWarfare, Keilana, Callanecc, and Opabinia regalis. Opabinia has not really stated whether she would run again or not and the others save Kelapstick haven't brought up the election at all from what I can tell.

Edit: Turns out TParis is a reserve member of the election commission and is thus ineligible to run for ArbCom. He states in volunteering that he has zero interest in being an Arb.

Proabivouac

Re: ArbCom 2017 election

Post by Proabivouac » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:49 am

"Suggested incumbents by Drmies include the possibly declining Kelapstick as well as GorillaWarfare, Keilana, Callanecc, and Opabinia regalis"

What an impressive list of busybodying nobodies.

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:48 pm

On the election page:

"Caution: Candidates should be aware that they are likely to receive considerable internal and external scrutiny. External scrutiny may include attempts to investigate on- and off-wiki activities; previous candidates have had personal details revealed and unwanted contact made with employers and family. We are unable to prevent this and such risks will continue if you are successful."

Even if I had the edit count and time to be an Arbitrator, why would I after reading THAT statement!?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:05 pm

Usually, at least one person has self-nominated by this point. Often there are more nominations towards the middle or end, but going all the way back to the 2011 election there has always been at least one brave soul who took the plunge within the first two days.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 pm

Someone has finally jumped into the ring, though he didn't quite get the template right.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:25 am

The Joy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:48 pm
Even if I had the edit count and time to be an Arbitrator, why would I after reading THAT statement!?
It's a high-profile position and such scrutiny, perhaps also some level of internet trolling, should be expected. They should make it simpler and say, in order to serve you must honestly disclose your name, location and profession, like any respectable editorial or management post. With respect, I'm not convinced that "The Joy" not wanting to be an arbitrator is really a bad thing. It is probably helpful to frighten off the pseuds.
Last edited by Proabivouac on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:28 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:40 pm
Someone has finally jumped into the ring, though he didn't quite get the template right.
Anonymity and userboxes suggest another wikiaddict idiot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =802431481

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:49 pm

Well, slap me silly and call me Susan! The Joy (as The End) went over at WS to allude to the possibility that RickinBaltimore may be RickK as he disclosed previously using the name RickKJr on Wikipedia. Obviously, very similar account names and all that. What is really interesting is both RickK and another account Zoe were blocked after they were allegedly hacked. It is very interesting as both of those accounts were admin accounts and apparently used the same password, which is how someone (supposedly Kelly Martin then at the original WR) accessed the accounts. Both were thus suspected to be operated by the exact same person. Truly fascinating is that RiB has run for ArbCom previously in 2006 under his disclosed previous name of Wildthing61476 (I noticed this before I saw Mutineer's post) and lookie here at who asked "Wildthing" a question. Looks like this may be an interesting ArbCom election indeed. Oh and lookie here. This is all so very fascinating.

Edit: Oh my. Oh dearie me. If this is the same person then . . .

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:21 pm

Proabivouac wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:25 am
The Joy wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:48 pm
It's a high-profile position and such scrutiny, perhaps also some level of internet trolling, should be expected. They should make it simpler and say, in order to serve you must honestly disclose your name, location and profession, like any respectable editorial or management post. With respect, I'm not convinced that "The Joy" not wanting to be an arbitrator is really a bad thing. It is probably helpful to frighten off the pseuds.
I'd go in trying to change things and likely cause them to unite against me. I wouldn't be surprised if there were cabals within cabals in dealing with Wikipedia's upper echelons. Unfortunately, even the most ardent reformers end up not getting anything done and become complacent with the status quo.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:24 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:49 pm
Well, slap me silly and call me Susan! The Joy (as The End) went over at WS to allude to the possibility that RickinBaltimore may be RickK as he disclosed previously using the name RickKJr on Wikipedia. Obviously, very similar account names and all that. What is really interesting is both RickK and another account Zoe were blocked after they were allegedly hacked. It is very interesting as both of those accounts were admin accounts and apparently used the same password, which is how someone (supposedly Kelly Martin then at the original WR) accessed the accounts. Both were thus suspected to be operated by the exact same person. Truly fascinating is that RiB has run for ArbCom previously in 2006 under his disclosed previous name of Wildthing61476 (I noticed this before I saw Mutineer's post) and lookie here at who asked "Wildthing" a question. Looks like this may be an interesting ArbCom election indeed. Oh and lookie here. This is all so very fascinating.

Edit: Oh my. Oh dearie me. If this is the same person then . . .

If RickinBaltimore is indeed RicKK/Zoe and this is proven to the wider WP community, I know the Drama God will be very pleased. Most indeedily. I almost hope he gets elected, though, before the evidence comes forth. That would really throw a wrench into the whole system.