ArbCom 2017 election

Discussion about the yearly Arbitration Committee elections.
The Devil's Advocate

Re: ArbCom 2017 election

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 pm

Proabivouac wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:35 pm
My favorite so far is "I Was a Teenage Faerie":

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/1587348/ ... age-Faerie
Lots of talk about the underworld in that one. She did describe herself as a Satanist at one point. All-in-all I don't think there is much reason to doubt her claims about her age. Every last bit of this screams teenage edgelord.

Another non-admin candidate, SMcCandlish, jumped in and I'll have something to say about that later. Given the current field I anticipate at least a couple more incumbents running for re-election before this is over.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:09 am

One thing notable about Candlish is that he has been deeply involved in the Manual of Style Wars. He was blocked in one instance, as noted by Carrite, but Wikipedia's scatter-brained way of logging actions against editors makes it difficult to identify when someone has history with a topic.

As MOS fights are mysteriously controversial, there are discretionary sanctions in place on the topic and Candlish has some history with those. In 2013 he was given a one-month topic ban by Sandstein after filing a report against an opponent that mostly cited year-old actions. The next year he was given three-month restriction on page moves in a community discussion that was later modified to allow him to move pages he created or in his own userspace. Candlish's block by Future Perfect appears to be a response to page moves he made after that restriction expired. Another topic ban, two months, was imposed on him the next year by Future Perfect for edit-warring over MOS issues.

Most interesting about that last one is it was lifted shortly before it was set to expire, with the admin doing it saying it was retro-actively applied to the day of the request for lifting it. What is interesting is part of the frustration there was Future dodging any attempt at discussing the topic ban at AN for a month despite clearly being active and being notified. This was after repeated attempts by Candlish to get Future Perfect to clarify the bounds of the topic ban and Perfect said he would reply "tomorrow" then didn't say anything at all. Candlish does have some history of sanctions beyond the one block and probably wouldn't have a serious chance either way, but the last instance is definitely one where he had legitimate cause for frustration.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:30 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 pm
Every last bit of this screams teenage edgelord.
Nothing is screaming anything, as the pix aren't linked.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 pm
Proabivouac wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:35 pm
My favorite so far is "I Was a Teenage Faerie":

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/1587348/ ... age-Faerie
Lots of talk about the underworld in that one. She did describe herself as a Satanist at one point. All-in-all I don't think there is much reason to doubt her claims about her age. Every last bit of this screams teenage edgelord.

Another non-admin candidate, SMcCandlish, jumped in and I'll have something to say about that later. Given the current field I anticipate at least a couple more incumbents running for re-election before this is over.
Looks to me a woman with a huge psychiatric problem. I think a long record of psychiatric treatments, maybe even hospitalized from time to time.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 pm

EarlStatler wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:47 pm
Looks to me a woman with a huge psychiatric problem. I think a long record of psychiatric treatments, maybe even hospitalized from time to time.
That seems a little presumptious. Much of the writing isn't all that bad. The themes are a little ham-handed, but a poetic instinct is evident. This wouldn't explain the zoophilia stuff or claiming to be a satanist, much less being a Wikipedia administrator and now running for the Arbitration Committee.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/1 ... kiscandal/

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 pm

Better if the had written: Wikipedia has a higher kangaroo court. And I said, looks to me a woman etc., but I am absolute not sure this is a woman.
Wikipedia is a cave Alladin for trolls, fools, pedophiles and other idiots. What else can you expect with that naive good faith system?

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:25 am

EarlStatler wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 pm
Better if the had written: Wikipedia has a higher kangaroo court.
Per the link above, I was thinking dog court, but there are Australian wikipedos so who knows.
EarlStatler wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 pm
And I said, looks to me a woman etc., but I am absolute not sure this is a woman.
Post the pix and let's crowdsource the problem.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:44 am

A few more people have nominated themselves. Mailer Diablo was an arbitrator who served through 2010 and 2011, so he is favored for a seat, though he has been very inactive recently and thus may have a harder time making the cut. However, the field is still pretty sparse for now. KrakatoaKatie is definitely another admin angling for a seat and having a third woman in the runnings may mitigate the chances of the two incumbent from running again. It can't be ruled out as if they all ran and won, then the gender balance of ArbCom would be near 50-50. Even with the field now, I see a good chance of some more incumbents running at the last minute. With the current makeup you would likely have this line-up in no particular order:

Opabinia regalis
Callanecc
Mailer Diablo
RickinBaltimore
BU Rob13
KrakatoaKatie
Premeditated Chaos
Alex Shih

I would put Sarek as having a decent chance of getting into there in place of Shih with the current roster. Carrite obviously fancies Sarek a bit, but I think he doesn't properly account for the controversy of Sarek's past misconduct. He gives PMC a harder handicap, which I don't quite get as she has been active for nearly a year unlike Shih. That has a lot of weight. She is likely to get a seat in my estimation. After all, in terms of activity and contributions she outclasses Opabinia regalis from when she ran and won. Can't totally discount the allure of voting for a female arbitrator to a certain crowd on the site. Only advantage for Shih that I see is he doesn't have some odd username. I don't think it being his real name would make much difference, but the fact it doesn't have any kind of negative connotation helps. Were he more active this year I would maybe put him more equal with PMC.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:41 am

Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:44 am
Can't totally discount the allure of voting for a female arbitrator to a certain crowd on the site.
Especially young pretty ones who have accomplished nothing in particular.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... arfare.jpg
(I know what you're looking at! – MW💗)

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:19 am

But what for the hell are they voting for. Good Arb's, or good looking girls?
More and more I start to understand a Wikipedia supreme court belongs in the hands of independent, paid lawyers and a few competent, selected users. Who work under there real name. You must create such a a barrier in a wiki. A place were you can appeal, and a wiki must be free from influences from WMF and Meta. Otherwise it will destroy it itself at the long run.

It is real good to look to a other wiki from outside, because you are as neutral as Switzerland. If you are in the system it almost impossible to see what is wrong. And I am speaking from my one experience. If you are a part of the system at the end you don't see what a madhouse it is.
Because, all the candidates I have seen till now are totally incompetent. They are or low functioning autists or have asperger, and that is a dangers combination. Because they start to make consensuses! Very strange, illogical consensuses. And they make Wikipedia to a dangers place.
And I don't say they are not nice, good willing people. What I am saying is my friends, this is if you are looking for good painters and you select only color blind people. What do you think the result will be at the end? And maybe these people are perfect employees in a other profession.

I really don't want to offend someone, I don't know the people. I only notice something, that is all.