Best way to run a criticism forum

The Big Picture, the Crow's Nest, the 40,000 ft. view: Topics about the concepts, philosophy, and social psychology behind Wikipedia and Web 2.0
Proabivouac

Re: Best way to run a criticism forum

Post by Proabivouac » Mon May 06, 2019 6:58 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:54 pm
Ah, a clear and unambiguous threat. A very clear example of what a criticism forum does not want.
And yet the best possible advice.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon May 06, 2019 8:41 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:35 am
True, but there is a problem with the people who behave well when held accountable under their real names but badly when not so accountable. As Graaf pointed out, this seems to be a large proportion of the population. Rather more, I think, that those who behave well under anonymity but badly under their real names.
I wasn't suggesting there are people who behave better when anonymous, though that is certainly something that occurs. My suggestion was that just as people are more than capable of being cruel under their real names, there are people capable of being very kind while anonymous. People who are private individuals and don't want lots of personal attention may be inclined to use anonymity to talk about issues without fear of the consequence that may come should that person's comments come to wider attention. There are also general security issues involved with widely sharing your identity on the Internet. Don't know what the breakdown would be, but I imagine most people don't really behave any differently regardless of the names they use online. People do feel more secure sharing intimate non-identifying details about themselves when anonymous, however, and that alone is a clear benefit. Folks have an easier time discussing how they truly feel when they don't have to worry about it getting tied up in their personal lives and this can both negative and positive effects.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:27 am

What for sure is is a forum is NOT the place to fight a one way vendetta with Fæ and to lie and to troll, Proabivouac. You are a lair and a troll and that is what you are with your protecting a other troll called Vigiliant. Or to repeat his crazy conclusion as if I have a mental defect. This is not the place to insults people, Pro. Because that is deformation.
If you can't behave yourself and don't say sorry to me do me one favour and just get lost. And leave Renée alone and find a other webstek for you trolling and vendetta's and lies. Thanks!
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!