Mathsci

Specific discussion about Wikimedia editors and editing of Wikimedia project pages.
Renée Bagslint

Mathsci

Post by Renée Bagslint » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:31 pm

At another site, there was a discussion of the parlous state of health that this editor is in, and the way that continuing to edit Wikipedia was almost certainly exacerbating his medical conditions. I suggested that the WMF should take responsibility, although they almost certainly would not. Since then, Mathsci appears to have had even more medical problems and is clearly seriously ill. Unfortunately he has not only continued to edit Wikipedia (including, on a couple of occasions, from his hospital bed) but has chosen to perpetuate his fued with Francis Schonken, to the extent that Fram has now called for a customised remedy in the interests of collegiality in general and Mathsci's health in particular. It really is quite incredible that Wikipedia culture should regard it as acceptable to allow an editor to literally kill themselves contributing.

Renée Bagslint

Re: Mathsci

Post by Renée Bagslint » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Mathsci hasn't edited for nearly three weeks, during which time an indefinite interaction ban with Francis Schonken has been enacted. This is quite a long time for him: perhaps his health condition, already serious, has taken a turn for the worse. Of course nobody on Wikipedia seems to be at all concerned that their pet project may have managed to literally kill him.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:44 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 pm
Of course nobody on Wikipedia seems to be at all concerned that their pet project may have managed to literally kill him.
Fram wrote:[...] I hope that the combined wisom of the AN crowd can find some solution which lets peace return.
Maybe killing the offending editor is the sum of this "wisom" (sic) that Fram speaks of... mind you, never have I seen such a massive tag bomb as this diff Fram dug up. And overall the feud does look quite dire, considering how relaxed and non confrontational the topic of classical music is supposed to be.
Editor of the The Wiki Cabal. I live at www.wiki.org.uk.

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:45 am

IIRC, Mathsci has a tendency to "disappear" for awhile when he knows he might be sanctioned for something. Then he comes back when the heat dies down. It's an old, but effective tactic among the hardcore Wikipedians. It's one way they survive so long despite scrutiny.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:06 pm

Let's hope you're right.

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:58 am

Sad as it is, some people need enemies to live. I sometimes wonder if his rivalries and endless conflicts is what gives him strength?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:30 am

The Joy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:58 am
Sad as it is, some people need enemies to live. I sometimes wonder if his rivalries and endless conflicts is what gives him strength?
The Wikimedia Foundation should establish its own iron cross-like medal to posthumously honor those who lay down their lives bravely reverting others.

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:26 am

Proabivouac wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:30 am
The Joy wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:58 am
The Wikimedia Foundation should establish its own iron cross-like medal to posthumously honor those who lay down their lives bravely reverting others.
The WP Community did:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Barnstars

Off-topic: I remember years ago when Rachel Marsden on Twitter got so mad at Durova that she told her to "go impale yourself on a barnstar." It was great.

http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?s= ... t&p=104784

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:29 am

A source in the Cambridge Mathematics faculty tells me that Mathsci really has been very seriously ill, so in this case I think that we can take his three-month absence as genuine. Incidentally he now has his own article, written by a former Ph.D. student of his. What's the board policy on naming?