Non-relational databases

Discussion about the most popular wiki software and other technologies enabling collaborative volunteer-written encyclopedias.
Auggie

Non-relational databases

Post by Auggie » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:01 pm

I ran across an interesting stat. The percentage of databases being used that are non-relational is increasing, and is around 25%.

https://dzone.com/articles/the-types-of ... -databases

What's the deal with this? Does anyone here have any insights?

I've always found it interesting that MediaWiki uses MySQL. Patrick Michaud, the founder of PmWiki argued that a flat file system is superior due to speed. https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FlatFileAdvantages

This makes a lot of sense to me regarding the content, but in the practice of running an encyclopedia I think the user management is easier with a relational database. MediaWiki blows away PmWiki in that regard.

I dunno. I'm not an expert in this field, but I am intrigued by the idea of a NoSQL wiki encyclopedia that could in theory be faster than Wikipedia.

sashi

Re: Non-relational databases

Post by sashi » Fri May 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Monsanto too. It looks like their database on journalists and other potential influencers might not have been more than a spreadsheet. Can you export to .json from excel these days?

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Tue May 14, 2019 8:19 pm

I think so. I'm not really up on all the new stuff. Mediawiki has been working out well enough for me, and when I need something simple I use Excel.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Sat May 18, 2019 11:01 pm

Wikipedia uses cache edge servers in a very complex setup far beyond your average MediaWiki install, so something that may speed up Encyc probably wouldn't speed up Wikipedia.
Editor of the The Wiki Cabal. Find me on the Wikipediocracy Discord.