Fram banned by WMF

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Proabivouac

Re: Fram banned by WMF

Post by Proabivouac » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:03 am

Auggie wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:33 pm
So your money's still on Fae?

I wouldn't worry. Someone at the WMF is bound to leak pretty soon. I can't imagine these jokers being able to keep a secret for very long.
It was both Laura Hale and Fæ. Both their complaints are right there on wiki as quoted in this thread explicitly referring to the "Trust and Safety" team. Fæ had been in contact with them and already knew that they had it in for Fram. Only Faæs complaint matches the four week timeline. Only Fæ's complaint is consistent with the language that they maintain the anonymity of complainers, since Laura Hale was mentioned in their note to Fram but Fæ was not. The "Fuck ArbCom" diff was a ruse tossed out there because it matches their four week timeline. They believe lying to be ethical in this instance in order to protect their precious Fæflake.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:11 am

It's interesting how they can't even stonewall without lying.

Like pick a strategy.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:21 am

Fæ has commented to publicly support Fram. Not that this would preclude the possibility, given his track record when it comes to telling the truth. However, I don't see why there needs to be some other explanation than them responding to his general history of being a bit too surly in his criticism of the big wigs. Mentioning the ArbCom thing doesn't help identify the part responsible since it could be anyone from ArbCom or someone else entirely. It is also possible they were monitoring that discussion given it connected to efforts at dealing with the hacking incidents and just happened to notice the remark from Fram.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Funny how if Fram weren't an admin none of this would have happened. It's so easy to disappear regular users.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:38 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:21 am
Fæ has commented to publicly support Fram. Not that this would preclude the possibility, given his track record when it comes to telling the truth. However, I don't see why there needs to be some other explanation than them responding to his general history of being a bit too surly in his criticism of the big wigs. Mentioning the ArbCom thing doesn't help identify the part responsible since it could be anyone from ArbCom or someone else entirely. It is also possible they were monitoring that discussion given it connected to efforts at dealing with the hacking incidents and just happened to notice the remark from Fram.
I quote from "Trust and Safety's" initial statement:
Trust and Safety wrote: We have been approached by several volunteers with questions concerning the recent Office Action
In their note to Fram, they mentioned only one, Laura Hale. THey have since followed up to make it clear that they are withholding the name(s) of complainter(s) in order to protect them from blowback.
Trust and Safety wrote: What made the Foundation take action at all and why at this specific time?
As described on the Metapage about Office actions, we investigate the need for an office action either upon receipt of complaints from the community, or as required by law. In this case we acted on complaints from the community.
All office actions are only taken after a thorough investigation, and extensive review by staff. This process usually takes about four weeks.
So they acted upon the receipt of a complaint and this process took four weeks.

As quoted earlier in this thread, immediately following a heated debate with Fram on the use of gender-neutral pronouns Fæ stated that he was in contact with the Trust and Safety team and urged others to forward him information to pass along to them. This was four weeks prior to Fram's ban.

I don't know why people are being so dense about this. Every single detail fits except for one thing, Fæ's newfound support for Fram. The simplest answer is that Fæ, who had fallen silent in the days prior, saw that heat was being directed his way and decided that disavowing the action which T&S took at his behest was in his interests, knowing that T&S was forbidden from calling him out for it.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:58 pm

cross-posting my summary so far

Fram was office banned a few days ago. The only reason given was that it was because of a crude post where he criticized the ARBCOM and called them incompetent. WMF refuses to elaborate on the grounds that it would endanger the victims.

Apparently ARBCOM was given a heads-up a week ago but did nothing.

The community is mad because you can't just ban administrators without a reason. Some of the other administrators unblocked him (Floquenbeam and Bishonen). WMF took repressive countermeasures.

Jimmy is involved. He knew nothing before it happened. He's asked the WMF to cool it with the wheel war and rubber bullets and stuff.

Fram recently clashed with Fae but Fae says it had nothing to do with them and wants Fram unbanned.

Fram has also clashed with LauraHale who is the girlfriend of the WMF chair and has made noises about going to the Trust and Safety people before. No one knows if WMF chair was recused from decision to ban Fram. Pretty much everyone sees an obvious conflict of interest.

Fram received an email a while ago about LauraHale from the WMF telling him to back off.

Apologies if I have gotten major facts wrong or if I used the wrong pronouns for anyone.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 pm

hmm yes I forgot that bit about the gender pronoun argument with Fae. Where Fram drops the n-word.

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:14 pm

Auggie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:00 pm
hmm yes I forgot that bit about the gender pronoun argument with Fae. Where Fram drops the n-word.
That is exactly what Fæ's complaint to "Trust and Safety" was about, as quoted earlier in this thread:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =896297507
Fæ 9 May 2019 wrote: If anyone that follows my talk page can think of any information that may help positively identify the puppet master for User:Oisehuck, User:Idylsara, or other accounts that have made death threats directed at me in the last couple of months and made offensive claims about non-binary gender, I would appreciate a confidential email or you can contact m:Meta:Trust and Safety without talking to me if you prefer. The WMF T&S team has some evidence of previous cases as unfortunately this is not the first time.
It does not explicitly name Fram, but there would be no way to discuss the matter without linking to the discussion of the previous day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... preference

The phrase "and made offensive claims about non-binary gender" makes it clear that it is not just about sockpuppets making "death threats." He also says that T&S "has some evidence of previous cases."

This just in:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =901551785
Fæ wrote: especially as I was accused by several people of being Fram's most likely accuser
Someone needs to ask Fæ directly: did you complain to Trust and Safety about Fram?

His earlier statement did not squarely answer this question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =901324060
Fæ wrote: As far as I know this block has nothing to do with anything Fram wrote to me, and it would be jaw droppingly astonishing if this action had anything to do with the campaign of transphobic abuse and death threats I have been targeted with recently.
Fæ, did you complain to Trust and Safety about Fram?

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:49 am

Meanwhile, User:Winged Blades of Godric has deleted a staggering 573,604 bytes of text to cover up the conflict of interest inherent in WMF board chair's Maria Sefidari's (User:Raystorm) relationship with Laura Hale:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =901533810

Here's how the section looked before its removal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... n_the_room

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:08 am

Auggie wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:30 pm
Funny how if Fram weren't an admin none of this would have happened. It's so easy to disappear regular users.
Interesting mentioning that as that was essentially brought up by Drmies through an oblique reference to my own case. He couldn't resist taking a potshot at me together with some boastful patting himself on the back for good measure about taking "harassment" so very seriously. Drmies stated Floquenbeam didn't object at all, but it seems part of that was his reliance on the "trustworthiness" and "integrity" of those who he helped vote onto the Committee. One of those people being Drmies himself. Floquenbeam doesn't seem to always make good decisions on who he can trust to exhibit integrity.