Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
User avatar
Auggie
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

Post by Auggie » Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm

It didn't work though. We see it as distractionary nonsense.

Proabivouac
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

Post by Proabivouac » Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:20 am
Auggie wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:37 pm
Let's agree to disagree about 18 year olds but as far as Molly White is concerned, that question is moot. As a college graduate in her 20s, she is more qualified than both Gates and Zuckerberg were when they started their companies.
More qualified on paper, perhaps, but she seems to lack the kind of outside-the-box thinking that would be needed for that kind of success story.
Rendering judgment over scholarly content across a number of disciplines, and standing in personal judgment over the creators of said content, or for that matter over people in general, is not remotely analogous to founding a tech firm. Even the grown-up Zuckerberg remains laughably unqualified in this respect. For that matter, there are plenty of excellent chess players who are even younger than that. Not so many novelists and pretty much no academic scholars. It takes many years and more usually decades of work to say anything which is both original and valid. White will have zero experience with that process, and no, a bachelor's degree doesn't count, especially nowadays as it's simply the certification of an "acceptable citizen" and heavy on political correctness, which she has learned very well. Outside of coding, where I've not seen her work and wouldn't bother to judge it anyway as it's as irrelevant here as her plumbing skills, her knowledge seems to consist of just repeating what others told her to repeat. Has she even read the foundational works of feminism or is it all secondhand from #metoo and the like? I've read her vigorous ideological assertions but I've never seen her cite anyone. I think she doesn't even know where "her own" ideas come from.
Last edited by Proabivouac on Fri May 18, 2018 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
The Devil's Advocate
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:50 pm

Re: Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Fri May 18, 2018 5:40 pm

Auggie wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm
It didn't work though. We see it as distractionary nonsense.
Well, that thread did end up mostly discussing her insinuations rather than her conduct. She probably doesn't care if people over here are not so distracted.

Proabivouac
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:01 pm

Re: Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

Post by Proabivouac » Fri May 18, 2018 6:16 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:40 pm
Auggie wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm
It didn't work though. We see it as distractionary nonsense.
Well, that thread did end up mostly discussing her insinuations rather than her conduct. She probably doesn't care if people over here are not so distracted.
Just to underscore the level of erudition at work here, the twitter post White cited as proof of her claims about correct language use was authored by "Black Aziz aNANsi" (caps in original) and her comment thereto was "Add to this: I will also immediately picture you as a Ferengi", a reference to the Star Trek universe.

https://twitter.com/molly0x57/status/992452524492894211

User avatar
Auggie
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Re: Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

Post by Auggie » Fri May 18, 2018 6:36 pm

Proabivouac wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:16 pm
The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 5:40 pm
Auggie wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:16 pm
It didn't work though. We see it as distractionary nonsense.
Well, that thread did end up mostly discussing her insinuations rather than her conduct. She probably doesn't care if people over here are not so distracted.
Just to underscore the level of erudition at work here, the twitter post White cited as proof of her claims about correct language use was authored by "Black Aziz aNANsi" (caps in original) and her comment thereto was "Add to this: I will also immediately picture you as a Ferengi", a reference to the Star Trek universe.

https://twitter.com/molly0x57/status/992452524492894211
:lol: ok it is kind of comical how stupid it all is.
Proabivouac wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 4:48 pm
Rendering judgment over scholarly content across a number of disciplines, and standing in personal judgment over the creators of said content, or for that matter over people in general, is not remotely analogous to founding a tech firm. Even the grown-up Zuckerberg remains laughably unqualified in this respect. For that matter, there are plenty of excellent chess players who are even younger than that. Not so many novelists and pretty much no academic scholars. It takes many years and more usually decades of work to say anything which is both original and valid. White will have zero experience with that process, and no, a bachelor's degree doesn't count, especially nowadays as it's simply the certification of an "acceptable citizen" and heavy on political correctness, which she has learned very well. Outside of coding, where I've not seen her work and wouldn't bother to judge it anyway as it's as irrelevant here as her plumbing skills, her knowledge seems to consist of just repeating what others told her to repeat. Has she even read the foundational works of feminism or is it all secondhand from #metoo and the like? I've read her vigorous ideological assertions but I've never seen her cite anyone. I think she doesn't even know where "her own" ideas come from.
I've gotta disagree. I've known people who by the third or fourth year of college are plenty sharp to do all that stuff. What they don't know, they look up or they ask people. The problem with Wikipedia is it's full of lazy screen addicts who think jacking around on a computer is an adequate substitute for learning and knowing things. I can't say I know much about Molly White other than what I hear around critical forums. I really have never followed ArbCom drama closely enough to know good arbitrators from bad arbitrators. But if you are unimpressed with her, I would say blame it on her Wikipedia habit, not her age, education level, or gender.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests