Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
The Devil's Advocate

Re: Wikipediocracy's failure is a joy to watch

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:25 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:48 am
I suppose it's helpful that Midsize Jake lays out the ground rules for WO's political stance so clearly. It was perhaps inevitable that the first rule of WO would be "Everything is Trump's fault" but perhaps a little more surprising that the second is "Only say nice things about George Soros". Paul "Ponzipedia" Bedson is hauled over the coals for suggesting that Soros might be a highly political figure -- after all, that's the sort of right-wing anti-semitic hoax (Jake's words not mine) you only get on unreliable fake encyclopaedias like Wikipedia.
Those notorious anti-semitic Israelis have also called out Soros on numerous occasions. Jake's response to this is telling and him telling someone else to see a psychiatrist is laughable. Claiming that saying Soros is a "highly political figure" is something only true in "wingnut imaginations" betrays either a woeful lack of knowledge or a complete break with reality. Soros is one of the top five Democratic donors in the 2018 mid-terms. He was the driving force behind one of the main anti-Bush organizations in 2004. No sane individual who spends more than ten minutes looking into all of his activities could argue he is not a highly political figure. Basically ever major left-wing movement in the past decade in the United States has been something he helped bankroll. There are other wealthy political figures, for sure, but none quite as versatile as Soros. You are talking about a guy who tanks national economies in his day job and topples governments in his spare time. People all across the political spectrum of various ethnicities around the world have legitimate grievances with him. Few billionaires, including other Jews, have that same track record.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:03 am

Okay, I've known this for some time, but there was never any point to bring it up until I saw this nonsense thread. Ming has started a thread at WO all about "Mangoe" retiring from Wikipedia. You might be perplexed as to why anyone should care one iota about some lighthouse-obsessed Wikipedian leaving the site. Well, Ming cares because he is that lighthouse-obsessed Wikipedian. What absurdity is this where a Wikipedia "criticism" site is hosting an attention-seeking thread by one of their members? He is basically pulling the equivalent of "Hey, look everybody, I am no longer part of thing that is bad. Praise me!" Difference is that he doesn't explicitly disclose his Wikipedia identity and thus is more just inflating his own ego. Ming has been pretty harsh to me in the past, but I never saw any reason why this was relevant until now. Starting a thread about yourself while hiding behind a pseudonym so you can fish for compliments on the sly, however, is not something I am going to overlook.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Lame. I barely know Ming but the few times we've interacted he came off as kind of snarky. Like he just wanted to display his wit. Pointless.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:43 am

Auggie wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 pm
Lame. I barely know Ming but the few times we've interacted he came off as kind of snarky. Like he just wanted to display his wit. Pointless.
Carrite is dancing right around some proof at this moment in the thread. He suggests "Mangoe" retired from Wikipedia because of the "fuck off" civility discussion. The remark "Mangoe" made at the time was as follows:
"Context" is simply "it's OK for me to be rude this time," which means that it's OK to be uncivil, and that's really what the argument is about. Apparently the rule really is that people who have the power to back up their anger get to be nasty to other people (who after all deserve it) and people who lack that power can be chucked out for expressing the same sort of anger
On WO the same day, Ming made this comment about the same discussion:
"Context" just means that you give yourself permission because, really, the rules don't apply in your case.
Seems this talking about himself on WO isn't entirely new for him, though this is the first time he started a thread all about himself. He bashed SchuminWeb a couple times on WO referencing an arbitration request filed by "Mangoe" and alluded to it by saying he had taken some player down with an arbitration request in another post. He boasts about his accomplishments many times by talking about himself in the third-person, which makes one wonder if his schtick on WO is just a ruse to conceal the fact he talks about himself in the third-person when people don't realize he is talking about himself.

Ming really didn't bash me until I was banned from Wikipedia and WO, but his grievance probably has its roots in the dispute over the article on Rupert Sheldrake. I was very much a nuisance to people who wanted to put as many smears into Sheldrake's article as possible and particularly the lede. ScienceApologist and Red Pen of Doom were also involved, the latter having been pushed into an involuntary voluntary topic ban due partly to me calling out his actions on the article. Mangoe was very much on the side bashing Sheldrake and backed most of the moves they made to smear him, but they consistently failed because I highlighted all the problems with them and my arguments won out. No doubt that rankled him to no end. One time he referenced having had prior disputes with me and in other cases ties his attitude towards me to the Sheldrake dispute. Almost like psychologically he can't stop himself from tying his issues with me to his Sheldrake-related grievances.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:29 pm

Ah right

Good stuff.
Editor of the The Wiki Cabal. Find me on the Wikipediocracy Discord.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:55 am

Who is this Jim guy? He seems even sadder than the rest of them.

I thought the place might be improved now that Hersch, Kohs, Zoloft, and Gomi are sidelined but nope. Still as lame as ever. Somey is a little better at running forums but not by much.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Somey? seems to me a nice guy and Zoloft too. At least they don't have the tremendous ego of Kohs. And WO, it is a old boys network of the guys who know each other from meetings and the San Diego and NY chapters, that's clear.

You know what Auggie, years ago someone in Holland had founded De Nederlandse liquidate Party. I have explained on Sucks before it is very easy to establish some shitty political party, just like the Pirate Bay kids did with the Pirate Party and Julia Reda in Europe.
Lets found The Wikipedia Liquidation Party, and sell everything and dump complete trollomedia and WMF and the whole shitzooi in the sea and give a huge party of all the money what is left.

And we invite anyone. Jimmy, James Alexander, Ming, Katherine Maher, Romaine, Drmies, Kohs,TonyBalloini, Moly, NewYorkbrad, Arthur and Crow of course, Steln and Eric, Kumioko, TDA, Pro, it doesn't matter who, anyone. A huge troll or not, doesn't matter. And party on till we have burned all the WMF money in the fireplace. All at once, in one or two weeks and we go on till there is not a cent left.

With great bands, good food, free tickets, drinks, pot, hotels, so basely with no different with the regulair spending of the WMF money. And everybody may be as stoned and drunk as he or she want.
Problem wikipedia solved. Sometimes are solutions extreem simple.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:34 pm

Midsize Jake is Somey. Jim is someone new. He has a cat avatar.

Let me know how your Wikipedia party turns out. Maybe you can get Jimmy Wales to show up. He might like something like that.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:40 pm

Yeh, I know Jake and Somey is the same person, but I have no reason to dislike him or Zoloft. And I am not reading much on WO anymore because much off it is what Arthur said a few days ago, just a other day on wikipedia. It is all extreem boring in a way. All the time that repeating incredible stupidity and nothing change ever.
But t is fine for me, I am a handicraftsman and it is all far out of my field of interest most times. I like creating, not copying.

And about that party, well I think in the best wiki tradition to start with a high salary for myself, and I think I will organise that party on the Bahamas in a luxury ressort, because it is extreem shitty weather in Holland at the moment. Cold, dark and rainy.
But such a big party for at least 200 million cost years of preparation, so I have planned it in 2030. And who knows at that time there is still some money left for a small beach party and off course is Jimmy welcome there!
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:07 am

Didn't we learn Jimmy still has a house in Florida? It would be no problem for him to pop over to the Bahamas to attend your party. Maybe he could bring some of those Bomis babes.