Your first three posts

The purpose of the forum, the rules, who the moderators are, and other information.
Auggie

Your first three posts

Post by Auggie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:52 am

Please make them real. Not just "test".

They will be approved in a timely manner that way.

"Test" posts suggest you're sockpuppeting.

EarlStatler

Re: Your first three posts

Post by EarlStatler » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:03 am

The The Tar Pit and Feather Barrel does't work aggie. By the way, were is everybody?
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:42 am

EarlStatler wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:03 am
The The Tar Pit and Feather Barrel does't work aggie. By the way, were is everybody?
I just posted a test thread and test post in the Tar Pit. It looks like its working. Can you post there now?

The holiday season has started in the United States and this is also the time of year businesses like to push for profit. So, I expect everyone is just genuinely busy. I still come in at least once a day to keep the spam at bay, though few posters are likely to see that in action.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:29 am

Ah. Well, the holiday season is just finished here in Europe, and I have spended a great time in south Germany, Switzerland and Italy. On the right side of lake Como, thank god not in Esino Lario. It was still summer there, but here in Holland....Brrrr.

© Graaf Statler

SpamAssassin

Post by SpamAssassin » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 am

The Joy wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:42 am
The holiday season has started in the United States and this is also the time of year businesses like to push for profit. So, I expect everyone is just genuinely busy.
Wikiinaction is humming, so that can't be it.

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:40 am

Also, if your first posts are in a language other than English without an English translation, it will likely be flagged as spam. Harsh, but true.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:07 pm

Maybe this was a bit over the top to make clear what beschuit met muisjes are, but I agree. (I went to the supermarket to buy this stuff.)

There is a international audience reading on the anglo critical fora, so you have to make clear what you mean in English. And I know that is not always easy, and I hope if something is not clear people ask me what is meant.
And in this case I have to say I did this mostly for auggie, because I know he likes the Dutch culture very much.

But I hope everybody agrees it's insane I first have to learn English if I want to complain about crazy global locks and blocks, and people who are no Dutch speakers who are taking all kinds of decisions. As far as possible, because you can't say one word neither in Dutch or English to defended yourself, because you are instantly blocked by fools like Natuur12 and meta stewards from I don't know were, who have no idea, and emails are never, never answered!

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Most of the spam we get is in Russian or some Cyrillic language I cannot understand. That's generally a red flag. And the links they are provide are not to good places. If you're a non-English speaker trying to make a good post here, a rough Google translate of "Hello. I would like to criticize Wikipedia" or something substantial like that would make it easier for mods here to approve the posts. All of the mods here are U.S.-based and we only have limited abilities to read other languages. As the forum gets bigger and more diversified, things would certainly improve, I would hope.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:46 am

Let me tell you something. Now the critical fora seems almost dead, there are hardly participants. That was the same on the Worldpress blog of Yanis Varoufakis. There were - I think- six or seven participants, and I was most times reading because of my very poor English.
But, the plans for the Greek spring were made there. Suddenly all television screens in the world were filled with Varoufakis, Athens in flames, and every newspaper in the world was talking about that Varoufakis blog, because there was no other news source.
I ended up in a fight with one of that communists of SYRIZA and was kicked out, after Yannis Glinavos wrote a blogpost Basta Yanis! on his one blog and I placed this link on that Varoufakis blog. Of course Guy Verhofstadt was complete right, but it was not what that Greek communists, what they were, wanted to hear. Most of that SYRIZA idiots in that time were real old fashion soviet communists, but Tsipras kicked them later out because it didn't work.
You have to understand the blog was taken over by some SYRIZA idiots at that time, who were about the same crazy as that Wikiidiots. But if I ever see Varoufakis I will say to him I admired his democratic level. First we were his best friends, and later we were kicked out!

But why am I writing this. It is of course crystal Wikipedia-WMF ends up the same in the same way like Greece. One spark at the right place, and the whole fire pill is lighting. It is a complete déjà vu for me. And at that time all this critical fora are world news.
The only thing I don't understand is why I,a stand builder, a older worker in working clothes with a old van are always gets in this crazy situations, because I have the feeling I am hit for the second time by the lighting.

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:56 am

To clarify, when I wrote "Also, if your first posts are in a language other than English without an English translation, it will likely be flagged as spam. Harsh, but true.," it was not meant as an attack against non-English speakers. It was attempt to warn them about being perceived as spammers. Unfortunately, the Russian/Eastern European and Chinese spammers have made it harder to figure out who is legitimately posting and who is a spammer. Like the Dutch Wikipedia, few of us in the Wikipedia criticism community know little of other non-English Wikipedias and we all would like to know more. I hear the Russian Wikipedia is run by pro-Putinists. I hate to think how bad the Chinese Wikipedia is doing.

And I agree, the forum has been lame of late. Hopefully, things will pick up when people have more time. :/