WikiTribune

Discussions related to Wikipedia's co-founder, Jimmy Wales
Renée Bagslint

Re: WikiTribune

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:10 am

I've just taken a look at their current offering and it's awful. If you go to their front page, there's a simple list of stories, the top three of which are marked as drafts. The fourth is empty, and the seventh has a headline that doesn't make sense (ends with the word "and"). It looks like amateur hour at the Junior Guardian. Just terrible.

However, there is plenty of opportunity for making use of this failure. A few new stories about Wikipedia and the WMF, maybe, or some creative additions to existing ones?

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:29 pm

You are complet right, me too had a look today. But I found this there.

Did anyone notice the state California gets a new privacy law, what is about the same as the European General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)?
By 2020, companies that collect personal information will be required, upon request by consumers, to reveal what data they have, what they use it for, and with whom they’re sharing it.
Of course everybody is against it, is it very neutral written, but why didn't notice anybody this? And if I see this, it's only a matter of time before article 11 and 13 are implanted in the States, because this regulation is just a copy of that GDPR....
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:08 pm

The site is terrible. Horrible format, no real content. It clearly is going nowhere. Jimbo should pull the plug.

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:39 am

Auggie wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:08 pm
The site is terrible. Horrible format, no real content. It clearly is going nowhere. Jimbo should pull the plug.
It's like MediaWiki and WordPress had a baby... a very ugly baby. :shock:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:45 am

It arrogance. How is it possible someone is even thinking he can make a better product by being a copycat whit a parasite side. They collect at random some news facts, they have no newsagent or editorial office because everybody is there is equal, and the result should be better than the original at the end. The whole plan was insane, it was doomed to fail from the first moment on.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:10 pm

And now when I edit any visible story it tells me in no uncertain terms "Your edits will be checked by the editorial team prior to publication".
Editor of the The Wiki Cabal. I live at www.wiki.org.uk.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:24 pm

The Joy wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:39 am
Auggie wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:08 pm
It's like MediaWiki and WordPress had a baby... a very ugly baby. :shock:

:lol: I just found the "Recent changes" button. So it's definitely a wiki, maybe a Wordpress plug-in or something. I don't think it's MediaWiki because Special:version doesn't work.

Renée Bagslint

Re: WikiTribune investigates the cow murder

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:54 pm

Todays top story appears to be Maine resident shoots neighbor's cow. The complete story:
Police in Maine are investigating an incident where a neighbour allegedly shot a cow after it damaged their car.

The Boston Globe reports that police were still determining whether there would be charges.

The shooting took place late Wednesday morning on a property in Embden.

The cow was kept in a fenced piece of land by a local resident, but it got free onto a neighbor’s property. The cow then damaged a parked sport utility vehicle. Police say someone living on the property then shot it with a handgun.
That's it -- the entire story. Undoubtedly the most important thing to have happened in the world today.

Clearly those people at Wikitribune need a hand. There must be hundreds of cows being murdered all over the world and they just don't have the staff to cope. And then there are all those stories about novel cryptocurrencies, London Underground stations, miracle cancer cures, antigravity engines and other exciting things they're missing out on.

In case anyone is motivated to help out, here's a handy invitation to their Slack group, taken from the talk page of Nick Bourbaki, totally not a pseudonym at all.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:27 am

Somey would be the perfect guy to comment on the cow story. Like its sad that this had to happen to a Holstein. Black and white lives matter.

Not funny enough. Crud. I know he could do better.

Those ben and jerry enforcers are savage.