Davos is snowy

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Auggie

Davos is snowy

Post by Auggie » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:16 pm

It looks like everyone's favorite rich people schmooze party is going to be snowy this year. :D

Is Jimbo going this year? How about Maher?

The World Economic Forum. :lol:

Good excuse to party and let them eat cake.

https://in.news.yahoo.com/coming-davos- ... 58523.html

EarlStatler

Why is Wikipedia man Jimbo Wales keynoting a fake news conference?

Post by EarlStatler » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:59 pm

That is of course a dammed good question. Why, the biggest alligator? Very strange.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

The Joy

Re: Davos is snowy

Post by The Joy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:39 am

"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 am

Yeh, but the question remains, what is he doing there? Wikitribune is not flying, Wikipedia the biggest source of fake news in the world, and fake news was a WMF slogan based on nothing. What can Jimmy tell the world about fake news? Not much, I am afraid.

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:51 am

There's the old saying of "If you roll around with pigs, you're bound to get muddy." If Jimbo flouts with the rich and powerful, maybe he hopes to get some of that wealth and power on him? I honestly don't know how he makes his money. Wikia isn't exactly a moneymaker and I'm not sure he gets a salary for being on the Wikimedia Foundation board. He's a part-investor of Quora, which is no different than Yahoo! Answers or any Q&A board out there.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:14 am

I think with his readings, readings like this. Because they get paid, and if you have enough readings a year you can make a good living out of it. He is well know, it's ahum, charity, and Wikipedia is a strong brand. He is there to fill a chair, a decorative piece.
I don't think anyone is listening to him, he is just there. He has the world nothing to offer, it's a empty shell.

And fake news is now hot, but in a year you hear nothing about it anymore. That's the same as with #Metoo. There was always and will be always fake news, and woman were always abused. It's a sad conclusion, but a news hype doesn't help to solve that. And for sure not jimmy's insane Wikitribune and the gender crap approach of WMF! And that makes me angry. Give us your money, and in 2030 we have solved all kinds of (social) problems , and we are the leading guide of knowledge. That is simple not true, it's a huge lie.

Wikipedia and WMF have no future. They can't recover, the whole project is beyond repair. The question is not if it collaps, the only question is when. And it collaps wit a crash, my guess is beginning in a chapter. And I even know in which chapter, the boondoggle Wikimedia-NL.
And that is what both WMF and I understand, if the chapter Wikimedia-NL crash, you get a chain reaction, and the whole fire pile burns down. Because, the same structural system errors are build in in the whole WMF structure.
Anyway, they gave me already the highest award to find this out. It's a great honor, it's a kind of digital nobel prize, isn't it? (Robot translation)

But for me they can fuck themself, I am building my watermill (example) for my toy train, am thinking about the scenery, and writing some articles op Wikisage. I like it there, and Jimmy , Maher, Alexander, etc. and the rest can walk to the wiki hell! Let hem fuck themself or each other, but leave me alone.

Nice tree what I made, isn't it? I like to create thinks, thinks what make people happy. That is my mission in life. Not to collect a lot of money, power, prestige, no nothing. I am happy as I am.
And that was what I tried to make clear to Sashi not long ago. Leave the wikishit behind you, and live your live. And let them suffocate in their own wiki shit, what for sure happens. I only don't know when.

I like the two girls in front very much. (shitty picture, sorry) I bought the complete set in pieces, and repaired and repainted it. It's old, I think form the mid eighties. The water mill too, it was incomplete and it's still a lot of work.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:10 pm

That's a very festive little scene there!

As for how Jimbo gets his money, Wikia is a top 100 website and is surely worth something. He also has a string of scams/failed projects like The People's Operator where he gets money from investors. He makes a ton of money giving lectures about Wikipedia. Finally, his wife has a successful career. In the past she worked in the UK government for Tony Blair.

Seeing him fly off to Davos every year to try to find wealthy sponsors for his inane business ideas is kind of sad. What Jimbo really should do is sell his stake in Wikia, return to San Francisco, and beg for some kind of formal paid role at the Wikimedia Foundation. But who knows, maybe Kate doesn't want to leave England.

So I just checked out WikiTribune. Looks kind of weird on desktop. Like a lot of scrolling for very little content. Maybe it's better on a phone.

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:08 am

I have not heard of The People's Operator in a long time. It's not doing well at all.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news ... rator.html

sashi

Post by sashi » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 am

I did a bit of poking around on the web yesterday and saw that a brokerage house bought 7% of the stock in TPO last week.
📯 wrote:what I tried to make clear to Sashi not long ago. Leave the wiki 💩 behind you, and live your life.
🐡

Damn it! What you rufflin' my feathers for, Count?

🐥 🐧

You've posted way more about that

🏭 🌈 🎪

than I ever have.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:42 pm

The Joy wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:08 am
I have not heard of The People's Operator in a long time. It's not doing well at all.
:lol: Nice summary. 300 pages later Wikipediocracy has reached the same conclusion.