Facebook has Wikipedia page on Breitbart come up on links to the site

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
The Devil's Advocate

Re: Facebook has Wikipedia page on Breitbart come up on links to the site

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:57 am

Haaretz did a thing about this and it is pretty underwhelming in its ability to portray the situation in a sober and factual manner. The guy writing these pieces doesn't seem to be doing his job very well, if you ask me. Do find it funny how news outlets will bash Breitbart and proceed to do basically all the things they accuse Breitbart of doing.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Well, I liked this conclusion.

Yet critics argue that the company’s new tool does the opposite, simply shifting the burden of responsibility from Facebook to Wikipedia’s community of volunteers.

And that is of course what they all are doing. All big American internet company's like Google, YouTube and Facebook. They don't take there one responsibility, they relay on the international wikipedia community. What is of course completely naive, because Wikipedia is as rotten as it can be.
I think every news medium is spreading from time to time nonsens and fake news. Fake news is as old as the world and will always exist, it is the modern complete lazy way of living of the internet firms what is the real problem. And that is the whole matter.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:05 pm

Over on the Wikipedia Weekly Facebook group they have been talking about this in their usual revealing manner. Most interesting is this guy involved in some of Wikimedia UK's past corrupt schemes. He is now a "Wikimedian in Residence" at UNESCO and his suggestion at Wikipedia Weekly was for "partnerships with organisations who are working on media literacy and researching alt right propoganda." Notably, they are apparently talking about Breitbart as "alt-right propaganda" in this context rather than just random alt-right individuals. One has to wonder what the goal of such a partnership would be exactly. Gamaliel is also looking to feed the guy his nonsensical rantings about GamerGate the great Internet boogeyman, which has been living rent-free in the minds of journalists since 2014. Can't help but wonder what might result from this interaction. They better check themselves before they wreck themselves as the last time the UN got involved with GamerGate it didn't turn out well for them.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:26 pm

This is really a funny topic, TDA. Here Jake is talking about

"Anyway, I would hardly call this an "epic battle" - the article in question has been under semi-protection since January 8, and even complaints from the right-wing folks on the talk page have all been "hatted." Their problem is that many of the well-established right-wing Wikipedians who might otherwise have succeeded with this - due to their better understanding of the rules, strategy, etc. - already kind-of blew their reputational capital (if not the actual viability of their accounts) on Gamergate, which actually was an "epic battle."

I am compete, and when I say complete trolled out by there troll army. You can read that here. They muted me, because I was I criticized there system on Wikipediocrazy. Twice.
How for the hell is Jake to write this stuff? True or not, I don't care. But they did the same! Exactly the same! How for the hell are they to say anything like this anymore? It's complete hypocritical. They have the same tactics!

You know TDA, long, long ago I lost my trust in the good leftish or the good right people. On both sides you have idiots and reasonable people, and that is the true.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!