Editor banned for innocuous meme in username

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
The Devil's Advocate

Editor banned for innocuous meme in username

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:43 pm

This happened a while ago, but I just got around to writing about it. All of the fighting prompting the ban was over the article on an anti-immigration book called The Camp of the Saints, which Gamaliel and Marek have been diligently looking to smear Godwin-style.

Auggie

Re: Editor banned for innocuous meme in username

Post by Auggie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:24 pm

I guess "kek" could be some kind of racist dog whistle but if we ban every user name that could be a dog whistle then that's most of Wikipedia.

I remember back in the day user "White Guard" caught some heat because they thought he was racist when he was really just named after something from a Bulgakov novel.

The Devil's Advocate

Re: Editor banned for innocuous meme in username

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:30 am

Auggie wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:24 pm
I guess "kek" could be some kind of racist dog whistle but if we ban every user name that could be a dog whistle then that's most of Wikipedia.

I remember back in the day user "White Guard" caught some heat because they thought he was racist when he was really just named after something from a Bulgakov novel.
As explained in the piece, at the time the Kekmon account was created the word meant nothing offensive at all. It was merely a variation of "lol" and was not associated with any strain of political thought.