K. e. Coffman's vendetta against dead Germans now at ArbCom

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Proabivouac

Re: K. e. Coffman's vendetta against dead Germans now at ArbCom

Post by Proabivouac » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:50 am

It should be obvious that "Myth of" articles are polemic rather than didactic and as such do not belong in what is supposed to be a reference work.

Pudeo

Post by Pudeo » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 am

So it ended. Meh. A waste of time for everyone. BU Rob 13 was right that they shouldn't accept cases without prior dispute resolution attempts. They were persuaded by a Signpost essay, which is pretty bad.

Two remedies passed with just 6 to 3 and 6 to 2. The end wording of "General conclusion and remedy" is pretty strict, but because no one actually edit warred in the topic area, nothing is going to happen.
Last edited by Pudeo on Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

LargelyRecyclable

Post by LargelyRecyclable » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:31 pm

As I privately warned several people at the time, the ArbCom case was being set up to not just get rid of me and give cover to Coffman and her antics, but to be the first in a serious of step taken to go after MilHist. Basically, MilHist is the largest and best run Project on WIkipedia and has been largely free of the toxic politics that permeate much of the rest of Wikipedia. The ridiculous FoFs in the Arb case were intended to be used as a mechanism of controlling MilHist, it's senior members, and the content they curate. There are a few Admins and four or five ArbCom members who dragged the case across the finish line just for these purposes.

Right on cue, PeterTheFourth, well-connected political wiki-warrior and never a member MilHist or a meaningful contributor to the area, has popped up in the new round of MilHist coordinator elections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =857546769

While this isn't an "I told you so," it is a lesson for people that if they don't speak out publicly when they see something wrong they won't be spared. MilHist is in for a ride, and it's going to suck.

Pudeo

Post by Pudeo » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:08 am

LargelyRecyclable wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:31 pm
As I privately warned several people at the time, the ArbCom case was being set up to not just get rid of me and give cover to Coffman and her antics, but to be the first in a serious of step taken to go after MilHist. Basically, MilHist is the largest and best run Project on WIkipedia and has been largely free of the toxic politics that permeate much of the rest of Wikipedia. The ridiculous FoFs in the Arb case were intended to be used as a mechanism of controlling MilHist, it's senior members, and the content they curate. There are a few Admins and four or five ArbCom members who dragged the case across the finish line just for these purposes.

Right on cue, PeterTheFourth, well-connected political wiki-warrior and never a member MilHist or a meaningful contributor to the area, has popped up in the new round of MilHist coordinator elections.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =857546769

While this isn't an "I told you so," it is a lesson for people that if they don't speak out publicly when they see something wrong they won't be spared. MilHist is in for a ride, and it's going to suck.
The user in question is probably someone's sock for the culture war topics because their first edit was the Gamergate ArbCom case, zero content creation was fairly inactive editing pace and yet it has gone for so long. Pretty curious no one's been connected yet.

Anyway. Would you like to say how much more did you see in Reddit than what I emailed to the ArbCom (a couple of pages ago)? Since I had the impression you or Cinderella knew more Reddit posts, before deletion of some. If the ArbCom "ignored" your email but read mine, would it have made any difference?

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:22 am

LargelyRecyclable wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:31 pm
As I privately warned several people at the time, the ArbCom case was being set up to not just get rid of me and give cover to Coffman and her antics, but to be the first in a serious of step taken to go after MilHist. [...] The ridiculous FoFs in the Arb case were intended to be used as a mechanism of controlling MilHist, it's senior members, and the content they curate. There are a few Admins and four or five ArbCom members who dragged the case across the finish line just for these purposes. [...] MilHist is in for a ride, and it's going to suck.
Maybe so. Who would want to do this and why?

LargelyRecyclable

Post by LargelyRecyclable » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:47 am

Pudeo wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:08 am
The user in question is probably someone's sock for the culture war topics because their first edit was the Gamergate ArbCom case, zero content creation was fairly inactive editing pace and yet it has gone for so long. Pretty curious no one's been connected yet.

Anyway. Would you like to say how much more did you see in Reddit than what I emailed to the ArbCom (a couple of pages ago)? Since I had the impression you or Cinderella knew more Reddit posts, before deletion of some. If the ArbCom "ignored" your email but read mine, would it have made any difference?
Maybe. Or maybe they're just a spastic GG obsessive who caught the Wikipedia bug and now is doing it for free for the Greater Good. Feel free to email me on the Reddit stuff. I'm pretty sure I archived everything worth archiving in between the time Dapi first called Coffman out on being wikihound and my first looking into it. Some of her cover-up is obvious in the difference between the archive and now. What ever happened before I started looking is gone, including at least one other user who scrubbed all their contributions to /r/ShitWehrabooSay. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why they'd do that. Bottom-line, some ignored the obvious and others just didn't bother to read it.
Renée Bagslint wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:22 am
Maybe so. Who would want to do this and why?
It's a lot of people, for the same reasons many stake out hills to fight on in Wikipedia, ideology and the sort of pettiness that causes small people fighting over even smaller stakes to circle the wagons. The publicly available info is there for those who pay attention. The first Arb !votes that all came down at the exact same time, the start of the evidence phase, or the 10th of July, leave a fat trail of breadcrumbs. The initial accusers who came out did so loaded for bear (TonyBallioni, Nick-D, Bishonen) on topics totally unrelated to the initially filing. Drimes was fashionably late to the party, only getting up and ornery after a superfluous public cue from Tony Ballioni, of course. These are also, not coincidentally, the actual meat and potatoes of what I was banned for, not the fat nothing that Coffman actually filed for, which she didn't even bother to include in her closing remarks. The Arb who was pushing from the word "go" was Doug Weller, the same Arb I'd had a run in with only a few weeks before, along with Tony Ballioni and Bishonen. Obviously he didn't recuse himself, because this was part of his attempt at getting rid of me for having the audacity to challenge a decision he made. Also not too shocking is that Parsecboy, a MILHIST coord, tried to ride to the rescue of the interlopers, and earned himself the animosity of the Project for his efforts. If he gets reelected to a coord position in MILHIST then it's a forgone conclusion that the project is totally toast. I'm cautiously optimistic that these shenanigans have burned all his bridges there, though. We'll see.

PS: To the very, very, technically astute "Nigerian" who left a package on my digital doorstep, hey buddy, I see you. What can I do for you? And please, just email me this time.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 pm

Pudeo brought this up over at WO, but Coffman has apparently taken his campaign to Commons. There he is targeting any colorized versions of historical images depicting the Nazis or Germany's World War II military and canvassing members of German Wikipedia to support him in his efforts. Of course, it is absurd to suggest such images are inherently about propaganda or pushing a pro-Nazi agenda, but Coffman did stumble onto a great point had he bothered to dig further.

In the case of one user, Ruffneck88, an image uploaded to Commons was found to be copied from somewhere else. Had Coffman dug deeper, he might have picked up on other instances as I have. A couple colorizations on this site listed as being from 2014 were uploaded to Commons as Ruffneck's own work with a more recent date. There is also a colorization of Reinhard Heydrich, which appears to have been put up on reddit a year before Ruffneck claims to have created it.

None of this excuses Coffman's behavior as colorizations uploaded by other users that appear legitimate have also been targeted such as a colorization of Hitler he tried to have deleted last year. More recently he has tried to delete an upload of Heinrich Himmler's SS service record and insisted it should be deleted even after his bogus copyright argument was soundly refuted. There his argument about colorizations wouldn't even seem to apply and it really just boils down to wanting to delete anything that could possible portray anyone affiliated with Nazi Germany as competent or successful. ArbCom really enabled Coffman with their case absolving him of all guilt.