WMF and the funny foreigners

Wikimedia fundraising, financial issues (and improprieties), expenditures, contracting, and corporate relations.
Renée Bagslint

WMF and the funny foreigners

Post by Renée Bagslint » Wed May 09, 2018 8:43 pm

A WMF blog post explains how to transliterate funny foreign names into American English -- or, as they call it, English. I commented
Gosh, do you think you could have made your view of "English" any more parochial? In case you hadn't noticed, the majority of English speakers are not American, and expaining the transliteration of other languages into the Latin alphabet in terms of how American speakers pronounce things is not helpful. The last time I was in Scotland, for example, I noticed that the "ch" in "Loch Ness" is not 'really just a “sh” following a “t”'
Will it be posted?

Auggie

Re: WMF and the funny foreigners

Post by Auggie » Wed May 09, 2018 11:35 pm

??? We do the "ch" = "k" thing sometimes. How do you think we say "school" or "schedule"? In some words the ch has even been changed to a k for ease of spelling, like "skipper".

Renée Bagslint

Re: WMF and the funny foreigners

Post by Renée Bagslint » Thu May 10, 2018 6:36 am

Of course, although I come from a part of the world where "schedule" sounds like "shed you'll". Which isn't prouncing it "stshedule" either, come to think of it.