GenderGap, the gift that keeps on giving

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Renée Bagslint

GenderGap, the gift that keeps on giving

Post by Renée Bagslint » Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Is there no end to the dismay and dissension caused by the Wikipedians' response to the gender gap? Well, let's hope not, anyway. The latest outbreak of ineffectual and inane hand-wringing started recently on wikimedia-l and has already morphed into the suggestion that the concepts of notability and verifiability are unduly Western and need to be replaced by an openness to "different ways to build their canon of knowledge". This should be encouraged -- that unwarranted Western cultural imperialistic bias against fake news, advertising spam and delusional conspiracy needs to be swept away. I do hope that as many supporters as possible of this short-cut to the destruction of Wikipedia will post in support.

I would contribute myself unfortunately I seem to be banned from posting to that list.

Proabivouac

Re: GenderGap, the gift that keeps on giving

Post by Proabivouac » Fri May 11, 2018 6:07 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:01 pm
The latest outbreak of ineffectual and inane hand-wringing started recently on wikimedia-l and has already morphed into the suggestion that the concepts of notability and verifiability are unduly Western and need to be replaced by an openness to "different ways to build their canon of knowledge".
Jean-Phillipe Béland 10 May 2018 wrote: "Nothing odd, it's baked in: Wikipedia is a summary of the canon of knowledge, the corpus of generally accepted knowledge."

But it is what we accept as part of the canon of "knowledge" as Wikipedia that could be improved. We have a very western approach to that saying that it needs to be published in such books or journals to be notable enough,\when different cultures use different ways to build their canon of knowledge.
Well, sure, the vast majority of attested sociaties did/do not have writing, yet still manage to have and transmit knowledge, so obviously they must use different ways to build their canons besides WIkipedia and other written materials. But besides that, how many of these unspecified "different cultures" agree with feminism or would even understand it if explained to them? That comes from just one culture, and its imposition is actually a canonical example of Anglocentric bias.

Renée Bagslint

Re: GenderGap, the gift that keeps on giving

Post by Renée Bagslint » Fri May 11, 2018 6:18 am

Indeed. All these discussions were started many years ago, for example, in Evans-Pritchard's work on Zande science. But why would Wikipedians care about that? Evans-Pritchard is a dead white European male, and even worse, an expert. Crowd-sourcing is the answer, so what's the question.