WMF exploits seaweed farmers

Wikimedia fundraising, financial issues (and improprieties), expenditures, contracting, and corporate relations.
Renée Bagslint

WMF exploits seaweed farmers

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sun May 13, 2018 4:56 pm

The WMF blog praises the winner of "Wiki Loves Africa", a competition funded by rich people in the West for other rich people who have the money to buy expensive cameras and leisure time to take photographs. The winning entry is of some seaweed farmers in Zanzibar. They almost certainly have far less money than the winner, a freelance photographer. I asked
Will the subjects of the photographs be compensated in any way for contributing to the competition, the winner's career, or the Foundation's projects? Or are they simply a natural resource to be exploited?
I wonder what the answer will be.

Auggie

Re: WMF exploits seaweed farmers

Post by Auggie » Mon May 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Funny even with that $2000 camera he couldn't get the horizon level. It's a nice photo otherwise.

sashi

Post by sashi » Tue May 15, 2018 2:12 am

I really don't like that arbitrary rule about horizon lines... here the vertical needs to be straight... though now of course the horizon line bothers me... thanks, auggie... ^^ ... though maybe that's why I preferred the shadow of the hammerhead shark flying Qatar airways through the ruins of Mogadishu.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Tue May 15, 2018 6:28 pm

sashi wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 2:12 am
I really don't like that arbitrary rule about horizon lines... here the vertical needs to be straight... though now of course the horizon line bothers me... thanks, auggie... ^^ ... though maybe that's why I preferred the shadow of the hammerhead shark flying Qatar airways through the ruins of Mogadishu.
:lol: can't be unseen, right?

I hate arbitrary rules too and am usually horizon-challenged in my own photography as well.

But in this case the subject's posture is directly related to her activity. By tilting her backwards, it appears that working a seaweed farm is less strenuous than it actually is.