All your blogs are belong to us

Wikimedia fundraising, financial issues (and improprieties), expenditures, contracting, and corporate relations.
Renée Bagslint

All your blogs are belong to us

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:04 am

David Cuenca Tudela notes that the WMF have decided to move the Wikimedia blog onto the Foundation web site. He correctly notes that this will formalise the transition of the blog from being a community effort ito being a Foundation mouthpiece, but seems to be a little late in realising that this happened years ago. Indeed, the Foundation have consistently refused to allow community members to comment on blog posts when those posts are in any way critical of the WMF. Howver, the transfer is rather blatant.
Ed Erhart (WMF) wrote:the blog’s move to wikimediafoundation.org does not mean we are changing the existing editorial strategy
true enough
I'm more than happy to discuss this in depth with you
which is precisely what he does not do ... David provides a long list of points and Ed would
like to hear more about your specific concerns with these plans
which David does and then Ed summarises the discussion by saying
We're not currently seeing any blockers to the deployment and blog integration
David is not unsurprisingly rather upset by all this. He is then gaslighted by a former trustee
Samuel Klein wrote:I don't understand the issue at hand, however. A change from blog.wm.org to blog.wmf.org?
pretending that David's length discussion is all about the URL, and then Samuel condescends to pontificate that
We do surely need to help individual metapedians grow, mentor, become more effective over time, without becoming overwhelmed.
So it's all about helping volunteers with concerns about seeing their work appropriated by the paid staff of the Foundation to "grow" into understanding and accepting their position as serfs, but becoming more effective serfs as time goes on.

Renée Bagslint

Re: All your blogs are belong to us

Post by Renée Bagslint » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:02 pm

If you follow the posts by David Cuenca Tudela in recent days you'll see that he is going through a rough time feeling that his volunteer work is unappreciated and that even the slightest sign of recognition from the Foundation would help. As I indicated above, he hasn't got anything from WMF but patronising blather.

What does Katherine Maher, Executive Director of the Foundation, say about such a situation?
@krmaher wrote:I’m just so tired of seeing the systems fail and people suffer. [...] As citizens, we can and should do better for each other.
What does Katherine Maher, Executive Director of the Foundation do about such a situation?
Puke.

sashi

Re: All your blogs are belong to us

Post by sashi » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:50 pm

I was just reading that thread too, and felt my cynicism about the WMF growing when I realized she had ghosted the entire conversation in responding to Kirill's announcement about the fresh new group of East African volunteers:
Katherine Maher wrote:Wonderful news, congratulations!
As an outsider observer, it looks to me like anyones are fungible on the goods ship wiki. (and that David is a good writer)