BLP inclusion discussion, GorillaWarfare

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
EarlStatler

Re: BLP inclusion discussion, GorillaWarfare

Post by EarlStatler » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 pm

But, also to here credit, she had the the guts to start here a open, honest discussion with you, TDA. What of course had to take place on Wikipedia. For me it makes it again clear how poor the rotten arbcom system is functioning with it's O, I think I don't agree with you and I have the power to mute you, so I do. And that is the problem, not this incident.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

GorillaWarfare

Post by GorillaWarfare » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:43 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:38 am
but now that you mention it this HubSpot situation in particular could be relevant to something I might write in the future.
Good to know. That's all for me here, then, folks.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:21 pm

GorillaWarfare wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:43 pm
but now that you mention it this HubSpot situation in particular could be relevant to something I might write in the future.
Wikipedia is a trap, GW. It's presented as fun, something exiting, but for many participants it's Faust, with all it's temptations. O yeh, it looks attractive. Power, respect, for some a WIR job, for others company, a free trip, a free lunch. Do something for the world, edit Wikipedia, in that way you create a better world. HA!

Slowly slowly you get trapped in the spiderweb Hotel California. Because, you can check out every moment, but you can never leave.
Who could ever think a young, bright woman like you could get trapped in Breitbard because she was Arb on Wikipedia!
And believe me, not only in Breitbard. Because under Wikipedia is a huge sewer. Where you can find everything. Spectators like me, trolls, journalists, researchers, troll army's, everything! And that makes Wikipedia so extreem dangers for young people like you.
Stay away from Wikipedia, Molly, as far as you can! It's invention of the devil!
But I consider both You and TDA as absolute integer.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:06 pm

Certainly no intention of "trapping" anyone. If I am asking someone questions in a public forum then it is safe to say it is not because I intend to write anything about it for Breitbart and I would explicitly say it was if that were the case. However, anyone who holds or has recently held a prominent position should assume any statements they make publicly could be used against them. Part of editing Wikipedia is that a lot of people involved don't perceive it as being significant even when they hold the highest-level positions available in the community. The site is one of the top five in the world and no other curated information source even comes close.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Sorry if I suggested you were trapping her, TDA, I meant to say Wikipedia in general is a trap.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:34 pm

GorillaWarfare wrote:
I suppose it was only to be expected that Ms White would leave before having had time to address the more weighty questions she had apparently come here to discuss.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:34 pm
I suppose it was only to be expected that Ms White would leave before having had time to address the more weighty questions she had apparently come here to discuss.
Well, till now my only conclusion as an objective observer (Nothing to do with WP-EN, I am Dutch.) can be TDA his claim was correct. And yes, a few more weighty answers to discus here with her would be interesting. Because, still in a role as observer, it was complete wrong to mute TDA.
And yes, I absolute dislike Breitbart but that is not were it's about. It is about the fact a in my opinion a integer person with a other political color than I have is treated unfair. That is were it is about, and about nothing else. And I ask GW, will you discuss further on with us about this thema, because that would be fair.
Last edited by EarlStatler on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:10 pm

GorillaWarfare wrote:
I'm not sure what I missed, but let's try to be nice everyone. GW, please feel free to stop back anytime. Thank you for answering most of our questions.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Of course it's great she has answers all that questions. It's absolute clear she wasn't corrupt or so. But, TDA was right in his claim.
Don't you agree it shows how rotten the arbcom system is? Because here it's complete clear what happend, and it is absolute unnecessary to take any measure to one of the two except a warning for GW. Because she did a few things wrong. And where are we now? In a huge conflict with Breitbart involved!

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:30 pm

GorillaWarfare wrote:
How is DA's writing for Bretibart any worse than you and Keilana planting your gender gap iniatives in the press? Or Morwen's soliciting coverage for the Manning article? It's always meant to put pressure on Wikipedia one way or another. The difference would seem to be that one lauds insiders (well is insiders lauding themselves) and pushes the house POV and one doesn't. Certainly it's not true that you're unwilling to be discussed in the press. Wikipedia's Emily Temple-Wood bio is its own form of citogenesis, active rather than passive –first we talk to the press about what we're doing on Wikipedia, they write about it, then we get our own hagiographic bio based upon what we told them.

Has anything on Wikipedia actually changed due to DA's articles? Indeed you have gotten together and declared Breitbart to be an "unreliable source" – as opposed to, you know, linkedin and youtube – and even delete its mention from talk pages, e.g. Talk:Brianna Wu or Talk: Gamergate with that Alison Rapp stuff (I note here that you were one of the oversighters):

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... Brianna+Wu
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ontroversy

Presumably if someone links DA's Breitbart articles the post will be likewise deleted and the poster blocked or banned.

But besides all that, what about the list of junk sources I'd posted earlier in this thread? Are they and the content you referenced to them going to remain on Wikipedia, even after you conceded that should not have used them? Is it possible that the case for publication on Breitbart would be greatly diminished if the upshot were, "when her mistakes were pointed out to her, she removed them?" As it stands right now, I think such an article would be appropriate as there is no other way to address the problem.
EarlStatler wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:22 pm
Because here it's complete clear what happend, and it is absolute unnecessary to take any measure to one of the two except a warning for GW. Because she did a few things wrong. And where are we now? In a huge conflict with Breitbart involved!
My impression is that she really really does not want to remove any of those articles or the claims therein. The sources used to back them are arbitrary, but their presence is non-negotiable. Why is this? Would some of those who wrote to thank her earlier now ask, "hey, what happened to my article?" I don't know.