Buddy can you spare a billion dimes?

Wikimedia fundraising, financial issues (and improprieties), expenditures, contracting, and corporate relations.
Renée Bagslint

Buddy can you spare a billion dimes?

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:22 pm

The WMF publishes its Annual Plan for 2018-2019. Headline is that income is expected to be $93M. Staff numbers will increase from 310 by an additional 44 (FTE). Healthy near-50% increase in staff travel and in external legal fees. An extra couple of million to outside consultants. The gravy train rumbles on.

sashi

Re: Buddy can you spare a billion dimes?

Post by sashi » Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:16 am

From the annual "Communications" plan:
Communications strategy—develop a plan: Directly address meaningful awareness of Wikipedia to female-identifying people. This should inform the Wikimedia Foundation messaging platform and all other communications work from executive communications to public narrative to digital media.

source
I wonder what the 8.3 million dimes they paid to Minassian Media from 2015 to 2017 were for if they haven't developed a plan yet. I seem to recall GW taking Kumioko to task for his awkward mention of "females". I hope that K will read the officially-sanctioned terminology and correct his speech. ^^

Proabivouac

Re: Buddy can you spare a billion dimes?

Post by Proabivouac » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:16 am

sashi wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:16 am
From the annual "Communications" plan:
Communications strategy—develop a plan: Directly address meaningful awareness of Wikipedia to female-identifying people.
source
Because there aren't nearly enough transgenders on Wikipedia.

From the author:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php? ... on=history
https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php? ... d=16835552
Gregory Varnum wrote: In my offline world, I have worked as a professional LGBTQ advocate, communications point person, policy wonk, tech nerd, nonprofit capacity building geek, and project coordinator. In late 2010, I founded and began development on WikiQueer, a Wikipedia style project for the LGBTQ communities.
To be fair, his interests also include video games.