Whose Knowledge? Whose money?

Wikimedia fundraising, financial issues (and improprieties), expenditures, contracting, and corporate relations.
Renée Bagslint

Whose Knowledge? Whose money?

Post by Renée Bagslint » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:19 pm

I just came across whoseknowledge.org in Katherine's Twitter feed. They are orgnaising a conference back-to-back with Wikimania 2018 in Cape Town. The people involved have a strong overlap with former staff of the WMF: the three co-directors, Adele Vrana, Anasuya Sengupta, Siko Bouterse were all quite senior at WMF (KI think they all left under Lila Tretikov's rule). It's hard to find out what this organisation is, but if you want to support it, you donate to the Peace Development Fund, a US non-profit that lists the WMF as among its supporters. The PDF gave them $48K last year. By the strangest of coincidences, the WMF gave the PDF $48K last year. So the net result is that the WMF is giving money to some of its former employees using another 501c3 nonprofit as a cut-out. Is that legal?

The gravy train rumbles on.

Proabivouac

Re: Whose Knowledge? Whose money?

Post by Proabivouac » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:05 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:19 pm
The PDF gave them $48K last year. By the strangest of coincidences, the WMF gave the PDF $48K last year. So the net result is that the WMF is giving money to some of its former employees using another 501c3 nonprofit as a cut-out. Is that legal?
The ethics anyone can edit?

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Proabivouac wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:05 am
The ethics anyone can edit?
Indeed. It turns out I should have simply looked on Meta. For $48K, they achieved two "knowledge maps", in Dalit and Okvir, and held two edit-a-thons.

Considering that "knowledge map" appears to mean "list of articles not in that language Wikipedia", and that edit-a-thons are widely regarded as uselss anyway, I would say that this little project has over-spent by approximately $45K. But the money seems to have been spent on activities which, however laudable they may be in themselves, do not lend themselves to the WMF mission. Doubtless they will prove of value to the former staff members, though.

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:41 pm

We all know these things are a good may to spend 90% of the Wikipedia budget on things other than Wikipedia.
Editor of the The Wiki Cabal. I live at www.wiki.org.uk.