WMF doing good trolling

Wikimedia fundraising, financial issues (and improprieties), expenditures, contracting, and corporate relations.
Renée Bagslint

WMF doing good trolling

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:24 am

I don't know who James Salsman is, but one has to admire his trollng on wikimedia-l. For some time he has been arguing such matters as the necessity for WMF to use open source hardware: it being well known, to him at any rate, that the NSA has a backdoor into every propietary chip manufacturer in the world and is even now using it to spy on Wikipedia; and the necessity for the WMF to pay more to only use renewable sources of energy.

His latest gambit relates to the "Executive Director's Letter to Donors"
James Salsman wrote:I propose that the Executive Director ask donors to support other organizations which are working for free college, single payer universal health care, shorter work weeks, payroll subsidies, and two-bracket taxation.

I believe all of these goals are favored by wikimedians, for wikimedians, I predict at around 80% for the least popular. If there is any question I ask that a statistically robust and significant survey of the question among community and staff be conducted with the urgency commensurate that work in these areas deserves.
I won't trouble to rehearse here why these ideas, however well-supported they may be, are not suitable for the Foundation. What I do want to comment on is the expert nature of his trolling. All his ideas resonate well with the generally left-leaning bias of the volunteers and the staff. They resonate particulrly well with Katherine's personal politics. The hardware issue is a nice exaggeration of the WMF's anti-NSA stance into realms that are just plausible enough to gain support with the community, but ludicrous and ruinously impractical to execute. In short, James is mocking the biasses of Wikimedians and forcing the WMF to explain in public why they should not do things that they personally want to do.

Well played, James!

Auggie

Re: WMF doing good trolling

Post by Auggie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:59 pm

That's some good trolling right there. Hopefully it will cause her to wake up and realize how ridiculous this is.

Renée Bagslint

Re: WMF doing good trolling

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:42 pm

By the way, if James wants to suggest the name of a supplier of renewable energy for the WMF to spend the donors' dollars on, I do hope he will think of the Terrawatt Initiative.