Everipedia

Other options besides Wikipedia.
Renée Bagslint

Re: Everipedia

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Paul Bedson wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:27 am
[...] blockchain encyclopedia went live for creating pages this week.

This means that you can create articles that can't be blocked in China or Turkey, etc.
[...]
So exactly how does being on a blockchain make it impossible for China or Turkey to block access to the site in their own countries, I wonder? Answer: it doesn't.

Paul Bedson

Post by Paul Bedson » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:56 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:26 am
It has no editorial control. But it pays in cryptocurrency.
Everipedia has editorial control BECAUSE it pays in cryptocurrency. People will get paid to source articles properly in future. Any problems with articles are dealt with swiftly if you inform the team. If people make bad edits that don't get 75% approval, your IQ will get slashed and be subject to price fluctuations for a period, it may even get penalized to cause deflation depending on governance votes and changes.

You're thinking too short term Renée and I'm really not sure about your hang ups on notability requirements. It all sounds a bit elitist to me. To my mind, the little people should have the same value for inclusion as the big people in a good encyclopedia model. Otherwise, it's a scam.
So exactly how does being on a blockchain make it impossible for China or Turkey to block access to the site in their own countries, I wonder?
It has to do primarily with the content being stored on IPFS, instead of a centralized server. This makes it so as long as people can connect to the internet, they could access a full node directly. Blocking a domain would not prevent access to the information. China can't completely block a decentralized netowrk, because people can easily change their nodes & people can raise new nodes instantaneously. That is why they are threatened by blockchains

The Joy

Post by The Joy » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:27 am

Welcome to Wikipedia Review, Paul.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Really, what we want now, is not laws against crime, but a law against insanity. That is where the true evil lies." -Mark Twain

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:52 am

Paul Bedson wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:56 pm
Everipedia has editorial control BECAUSE it pays in cryptocurrency. People will get paid to source articles properly in future. Any problems with articles are dealt with swiftly if you inform the team. If people make bad edits that don't get 75% approval, your IQ will get slashed and be subject to price fluctuations for a period, it may even get penalized to cause deflation depending on governance votes and changes.
By whom? You have a paid staff, or even a volunteer staff of editors large enough to do this? You have, and can name, an editorial board, with its experts in dozens of different fields of knowledge? No, you don't. Right now you have a million articles inadequately sourced, about two thousand of which are about living people. I know this, because that's what the English-language Wikipedia has, and you've scraped the entire contents to start your alternative, and you don't even seem to realise that you need to at least make a start on fixing the existing the deficiencies before you can start bragging about how effective your system is at preventing new ones. You need hundreds of FTE-years to fix the backlog alone. Come back when you've fixed even one per cent of that with your new model.
You're thinking too short term Renée and I'm really not sure about your hang ups on notability requirements. It all sounds a bit elitist to me. To my mind, the little people should have the same value for inclusion as the big people in a good encyclopedia model.
If by, "elitist", you mean, I think that articles in an encyclopaedia should be written by people who have been selected for their expertise in the subject and their ability to convey knowledge to the general reader, darn right. If by "hang ups on notability" you mean I think you shouldn't waste your time on articles about something utterly pointless and trivial, sourced entirely to a mention on Twitter, got it in one. If by "short term", you mean, I expect people who make claims here and now to produce the evidence here and now, well, again you've hit the nail on the head.
It has to do primarily with the content being stored on IPFS, instead of a centralized server.
IPFS is a distributed filesystem. That is not the same as a distributed ledger system. Wikipedia could store its edit history on a blockchain right now, and still be blocked by China and Turkey using DNS. They could equally migrate to IPFS to serve their content without putting their edit history onto a blockchain. The two things are not the same, although proponents ofunsupported new cryptocurrencies have a tendency to talk as if blockchain were the answer to everything.
Otherwise, it's a scam.
You're asking people to do useful work in exchange for an arbitrary allocation of cryptocurrency with no ascertainable value and supported by no known backing. Yes, it's a scam.

Paul Bedson

Post by Paul Bedson » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:09 pm

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:52 am
By whom? You have a paid staff, or even a volunteer staff of editors large enough to do this? You have, and can name, an editorial board, with its experts in dozens of different fields of knowledge? No, you don't.
Actually I can. There's quite a few of us Master Editors now that are experts in different fields of knowledge and a staff of Executive Editors that I could name, mostly grads and post-grads from America's top univeristies. You can come and meet us all in the telegram channel.
Renée Bagslint wrote:
Come back when you've fixed even one per cent of that with your new model.
A lot of work can be done by PYTHON scripts. They can run another bot to do whatever they want to update from Wikipedia and import all the other language versions as well. They're going to go bot crazy after release, I expect. They could even implement a module so everyone votes on articles getting imported from Wikipedia, daily!
Renée Bagslint wrote:
If by, "elitist", you mean, I think that articles in an encyclopaedia should be written by people who have been selected for their expertise in the subject and their ability to convey knowledge to the general reader, darn right. If by "hang ups on notability" you mean I think you shouldn't waste your time on articles about something utterly pointless and trivial, sourced entirely to a mention on Twitter, got it in one. If by "short term", you mean, I expect people who make claims here and now to produce the evidence here and now, well, again you've hit the nail on the head.
You're welcome to express your viewpoints on people's expertise and triviality of content by voting for or against it when that module is implemented late Q3 / early Q4 2018. You'd probably be suprised because I expect I would be voting with you on many shared viewpoints if you did!
Renée Bagslint wrote:
IPFS is a distributed filesystem. That is not the same as a distributed ledger system.
This is more of a technical point, but I'll try to explain it in laymen's terms so that everyone can learn more about this.

The EOS community collectively votes for 21 block producers. These block producers help the EOS mainnet run, as well as all the applications (i.e. Everipedia) functioning in the mainnet.

(Side Note: Everipedia are part of a block producer called LibertyBlock; please consider voting for them if you haven't already.) 😉

These 21 block producers that the EOS community vote for are going to provide the IPFS file storage. They are incentivized to do this, as they will rewarded with newly minted EOS tokens, similar to how Bitcoin/Ethereum miners are incentivized to provide hashing services.

The Everipedia FAQ and Everipedia whitepaper go into detail about how this works. The whitepaper explains how IPFS nodes communicate with the EP Network smart contract to query other daemons for the articles they want to help host. It maybe helpful to people to use a free service that converts an average home internet connection into a static business connection that can always be reached. There's a lot of ideas they have. They need to see how EOSIO storage is coming along before they release further guidelines about how the community can actively host articles with home spun IPFS nodes. The actual IPFS daemons use hash tables and TCP/IP routing to communicate with one another so it does require normal internet protocol communication between the IPFS nodes themselves. The actual method for IPFS nodes keeping track of what the current article states are through the EOS smart contract. IPFS to IPFS communication: TCP/IP + hash tables (look at the IPFS whitepaper for more info) IPFS to EOS/EP Network: Article state tree (look at the EP whitepaper for more info).

IPFS does handle the storage off chain. They are planning to have an incentive layer for those who want to provide IPFS storage for the Everipedia network, as well, but they don't have anything in place at the moment.

Using a decentralized internet to host would provide it the best protections. Sub uses the extra bandwidth on computers hosting. So a ddos attack can't take them down. Blocking an ip won't be able to. It will look like a generic packet. So if user uses sub browser. They can see anything out there. If website hosts on sub. It can be seen anywhere that allows it.If website is hosted by sub. And user uses sub browser. Then it's all free info. No blocking is possible without turning the internet off like north Korea has set to interstate only.

I'm guessing that many ordinary people could run a "light" Everipedia node, i.e. text only without images or media, which could make this lite version more available and harder for authorities to block. That's gotta be in the 50-100GB range, feasible to run host cheaply on a raspberry pi for example.
Renée Bagslint wrote:
You're asking people to do useful work in exchange for an arbitrary allocation of cryptocurrency with no ascertainable value and supported by no known backing. Yes, it's a scam.
You can see the value of the IQ cryptocurrency live on the Chaince exchange among others. Allocation should be your % share of daily approved content on a 5% annual inflation rate of 10Bn IQ. Everipedia is backed by Block.one and $30,000,000 from Michael Novogratz's Galaxy Digital among other angel investors. They have a long runway and aren't going anywhere soon.

I'm not asking anyone to invest the $20-30 it would likely cost to get started with a few IQ points on iqnetwork.io. Just recommending it as something to be aware of having gone live to test. Accounts for everipedia.org are by invitation on the contact form or messaging an admin in the telegram channel with the name of the first article you would like to create. I'm just asking people to check it out and jump in while the water's warm. Everipedia is at least aiming to exchange something for useful work in the near term, which should make it less of a scam than others as it does have a minimum viable functional alpha model to play with now.

You're welcome to come make an autobiography as your first page, which might have some value to you in itself!

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:37 pm

I have decided that Google pagerank doesn't like Everpedia. I am not sure why, I suspect that the content is not SEO optimised and primarily trips the plagiarism filter. Possibly the whole blockchain thing is not very compatible with googlebot.

Anyway it ranks much lower than simple Wikipedia mirrors like Revolvy.
Also on other forums. Also on wikipediocracy. I live at www.wiki.org.uk

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:05 am

It's a start up, we must give it time. But I like it, yes I really like the idea. And, if it turns out in a succes Google can't ignore it. And you can also use political pressure, because in the EU it's forbidden not to allow competitors. And that are things to discuss with a MEP, because it is existing regulation.

And I don't think you must step in such a project with the idea in a few years am I a Everipedia miljonair. You must step in to it if you like to write, to create. If you like to learn things, to meet interesting people. And everyone likes a attention, even a small one, see it in that way. The project has real interesting aspects, but, yes, also risks.
But the way WMF and the Dutch wikipedia community has treated me is shameless, a shit bucket in return for my work, so everything is better than that.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:58 pm

Genderdesk explains that it's not only a cryptocurrency scam, it's an extortion vehicle. If someone slags you off in a BLP article, and you want to login to correct it, you have to buy the cryptocurrency for the privilege. (For some reason, the comments on this otherwise valuable exposé are about French flatulence). I hadn't seen that one coming, so one up to the Desk.

Paul Bedson

Post by Paul Bedson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:44 am

Renée Bagslint wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:58 pm
Genderdesk explains that it's not only a cryptocurrency scam, it's an extortion vehicle. If someone slags you off in a BLP article, and you want to login to correct it, you have to buy the cryptocurrency for the privilege. (For some reason, the comments on this otherwise valuable exposé are about French flatulence). I hadn't seen that one coming, so one up to the Desk.
That's just nonsense. If anyone slags you off. You e-mail. tweet or message in their telegram channel and it gets sorted immediately, or within minutes, hours at most.

You try asking Wikipedia, you get a paralegal e-mail you after 7 days and then nothing for another 7, I am still waiting on a reply in my libel and defamation case with them. You can't tweet Wikipedia about libel and defamation. You can't walk in a chat room and ask the owner to do something about it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's an absolute joke, beyond a farce. Wikipedia is a total and utter disgrace in respect to responding to libel takedown notices. It's not fit for purpose.

Here's all the info from Everipedia's telegram group's pinned message if you're interested

[UPDATE ON INVITES: AUGUST 9, 2018]
There has been a lot of discussion regarding the invitation process and how to contribute to the Everipedia Network, especially since several publications have written that we launched on the blockchain. (Side Note: The site in question has been live since mid-July.)

To prevent any confusion, we believe it is important to distinguish the two different URLs to which you can contribute:

Everipedia.org (pre-blockchain): This is the pre-blockchain version of Everipedia. (We are sending invites at the end of every week to create content on the platform while the dev. team continues to work on building features and detect/fix any bugs they may see on the blockchain version.)

IQnetwork.io (blockchain): This is the website the Everipedia team has currently made available for people who want to experiment with the blockchain. (Use the site with caution; we recommend using this site only if you know what you're doing AND what you're risking by staking your IQ tokens.)

*The technology built on iqnetwork.io will be integrated into everipedia.org once the development of the network is complete.

If you would like to experiment with iqnetwork.io, please follow these instructions in this link:
https://everipedia.org/wiki/everipedia- ... l-english/

If you would like an invite to experiment with everipedia.org, please message @mahbodmoghadam1 or @Romiezzo with the following information:
1) Your email
2) The first page you'd like to create on the site (We can give you some ideas if you aren't sure, but think of something that you know is not on Wikipedia.)
—————————
[LATEST UPDATE ON IQNETWORK: July 27, 2018]
We are doing some smart contract and front end fixes starting July 27 12AM PST, so some features, especially editing, may not work temporily. Once this is done, voting should be enabled.

Creation of new pages has now been enabled (editing existing pages is still disabled). You need to stake some IQ to create Brainpower in order to edit, and you can do so by clicking the "GET BRAINPOWER" button on your username in the top right hand side of the screen.

Please note this is still very experimental and there is a small chance the pages will be lost in the future until the process. You can now test out the editor page and see the voting screen. Voting is still disabled at this time but will be enabled soon.

You can see recently proposed pages here:
https://iqnetwork.io/recent-activity/

The new site will run alongside everipedia.org for the time being, and should be considered complete alpha/MVP. Scatter should show your current EOS balance and a IQ balance once the airdrop is completed. Note: The current network does not have inflationary token rewards turned on during this testing phas

Exchanges - When Moon?
https://iqnetwork.io/exchange-listings/
These exchanges have indicated to us that they will support the airdrop, but not all of them have promised a trading pair. Please contact them for details.

White Paper
https://github.com/EveripediaNetwork/Ev ... tepaper.md

Here Renée, they made this meme for your next year.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:45 am

If anyone slags you off. You e-mail. tweet or message in their telegram channel and it gets sorted immediately, or within minutes, hours at most.
Name five.