Everipedia

Other options besides Wikipedia.
Paul Bedson

Re: Everipedia

Post by Paul Bedson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:10 am

With pleasure. Just contact any of these five guys if anyone slags you off on Everipedia and I expect they'll be right on it and likely reply same day.

Sam Kazemian
Theodore Forselius
Mahbod Moghadam
Travis Moore
Romi Ezzo

and if none of them are around, there's always

Larry

or Master Editors like me you could contact and I would look into anything promptly for you.

There's also Execs like Dave and Angel almost constantly around and on a decentralized system where everyone has a stake, everyone has a stake in sorting problems quickly.

If you want an example of this, check my page on Doug Weller. I tidied it up to his specifications when he got in contact, within a day. I also did when Tony Ballioni complained about my page on Michael Aaij.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:28 am

I meant, as I think you know, five cases in which someone who has been defamed on your so-called encyclopaedia has been successful in having the defamation removed by the process you claim to be so effective.

Paul Bedson

Post by Paul Bedson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:52 am

Oh, well I can only name the two that I have personally been involved with there. There was another one when a black hat hacker walked in the telegram group and asked for his page to be removed. I removed that instantaneously, even though as a Master I wasn't really allowed before Exec consultation. The Execs had a consultation and agreed I'd done the right thing in that instance, however.

So that makes 3. I could probably search Mahbod's twitter history and find more if you really wanted?

Paul Bedson

Post by Paul Bedson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:02 pm

I just remembered a 4th instance too. I created a page on Sarah Abdallah which she requested takedown and we did.

She then tweeted me back that she quite liked the page I had made for her and wanted it restored if it wasn't going to be vandalized.

I had a discussion with Dave Liebowitz, and Exec about the case and we mutually decided it most beneficial for the encyclopeda NOT to restore her page, even after request because of the potential threat of vandalism. We both thought she was too hot, in more than one sense of the word!

She was fine with that decision, understood and I actually became friends with Sarah over the matter. :D

Dysklyver

Post by Dysklyver » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:20 pm

I have joined the Everpedia party, smoked the bitcoin weed, and it's great fun.

Their version of Visual editor works much better than Wikipedia's, I got to create some pages of mine that Wikipedia didn't want, fix TonyBannioni's page, and generally make edits. And pages, and things, https://everipedia.org/wiki/wiki-review/

Their citation system is a joke though, no consistent format whatsoever, no real way to cite a book, and most my references have ended up being uploaded .txt files (an acceptable reference format).
Also on other forums. Also on wikipediocracy. I live at www.wiki.org.uk

Paul Bedson

Post by Paul Bedson » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:36 pm

Dysklyver wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:20 pm
Their citation system is a joke though, no consistent format whatsoever, no real way to cite a book, and most my references have ended up being uploaded .txt files (an acceptable reference format).
You can cite a book from google books. Just put the page number if it's not previewed.

I do that a lot. Google has most books.

There used to be this tool back in the old days of Wikipedia to produce a standard reference format.

There's possibly a requirement for one of those for Everipedia, along with a map-pinpointing app that produces maps with pinpoints from coordinates in decimal for geographical articles.

More GitHub stuff I don't know about tho...

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:55 pm

Paul Bedson wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:36 pm
Google has most books.
WHAT??? This is completely false! Who knows how many they have scanned which they do not display for copyright reasons, but in my experience it's very much the exception when a book I need is available on google books, even when the copyrights have expired.

As for citation, nothing reqires that you use a Wikipedia like template system. You could just have a "Bibliography" section at the bottom, build it manually and reference it in text. Personally, I think Wikipedia's system, while visually pleasing when implemented correctly, has the effect of downplaying the sources while lending an undue authority to Wikipedia's own voice, as if these were just details that most readers shouldn't care about.