AN/I accelerates into a raging mob over nothing, Cullen328's BLP

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Pudeo

AN/I accelerates into a raging mob over nothing, Cullen328's BLP

Post by Pudeo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:27 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... Jim_Heaphy

So Checkingfax made an article on one of Wikipedia's administrators, Cullen328. People got really upset about it.

And the AN/I thread was a bizarre read from the top to the bottom. Expletives were thrown at him, inlcuding "What the fuck did he think he was doing here?" by an administrator (JzG), calls for revoking all privileges, and describing the author as having a track record of "vindictive and retaliatory behavior", and the article as a "passive-aggressive attack page".

The reason for being such a serious BLP-violating attack page was that Cullen wasn't considered to be notable in real-life, and the article mentioned one of his investigative blogs playing a role in one WMF trustee resigning.

And Cullen328's comment at the end was hilarious after all the mob rage: "First of all, Checkingfax (like Carrite) is an editor I have actually met personally on a few occasions including at least two WMF events. He has been very kind to my wife and my disabled son, and I like him personally. We are friendly on social media. I did not interpret anything in his article as libelous because it is true that research I did played some role in the events that led to the resignation of a WMF trustee. I certainly do not consider what Checkingfax wrote as "vindictive and retaliatory" in any way."

This is AN/I when they want to defend "one of their own". Quite toxic, and ironically rather vindictive and relatiatory.

Dysklyver

Re: AN/I accelerates into a raging mob over nothing, Cullen328's BLP

Post by Dysklyver » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:45 pm

The article looked rather like https://everipedia.org/wiki/jim-heaphy/ by the way.

There is no chance in anyone's mind this is a notable biography. None.
Editor of the The Wiki Cabal. I live at www.wiki.org.uk.

Renée Bagslint

Re: AN/I accelerates into a raging mob over nothing, Cullen328's BLP

Post by Renée Bagslint » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:36 am

Perhaps someone should be keeping a log of the special privileges admins have that are denied to lower-level players. We have already see that an admin can launch a personal attack on admin and get blocked for repeating it, then unlobked immediately by a fellow admin -- an ordinary user would at the very least have had to go through self-criticism and wait out the block. This case shows that a vacuous but essentially harmless BLP about an admin will be quickly deleted by another admin without going through the usual procedures. Are there any other special privileges of note?