WMF: we have a plan

Wikimedia fundraising, financial issues (and improprieties), expenditures, contracting, and corporate relations.
Renée Bagslint

WMF: we have a plan

Post by Renée Bagslint » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:44 am

... or at least, a Twitter feed. The long-running money-eating Strategy celebrates its success at running and eating at the WMF junket in Sweden, where the local chapter was just given a bung of half a million dollar. Unfortunately, the strategy has been rather clearly exposed as a waste of time and money by Itzik Edri, chair of the Israel chapter, and others:
I felt we almost reached the final step of the process and I wanted to help shape the recommendations. I was totally wrong.
He was wrong twice over. It's intended to be a waste of time and money, at least as far as the volunteers are concerned -- it isn't about consulting them at all. It's about formulating and executing the way in which WMF will own the volunteers. The "Wikimedia2030" twitter feed states, quite succinctly, what the plan is.
By 2030, Wikimedia will become the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge, and anyone who shares our vision will be able to join us.
Or, to put it another way, All your knowledge are belong to us.

Auggie

Re: WMF: we have a plan

Post by Auggie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 pm

It's so weird how the WMF money sloshes around. Almost like it is intentionally confusing.

So some gets spent in San Francisco as WMF projects.

Some also gets granted to local chapters around the world.

Still more gets diverted to other nonprofits, like the Wiki Education Foundation.

I don't blame the volunteers for being frustrated. They have no clear direction, overlapping responsibilities, and no security. It's like a paranoid dictator is in charge, intentionally keeping the minions weak and divided.

Renée Bagslint

Post by Renée Bagslint » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:13 am

And yet another plan! Katherine asks for comments and I trust that the criticial community will not dsappoint her.

Highlishts include
We also recognize that we must also institute internal changes at the Foundation [...stuff...] -- all while maintaining the integrity of our mission and the funding of our donors.
Glad to see funding is more important than, say, supporting the volunteers with resources or workable software.

So many plans, though. I wonder if there's a plan for having those plans?

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:29 pm

Someone needs to ask Katherine why they keep diverting Wikipedia's donor money to the Wiki Education Foundation, where there is no direct oversight by her or the WMF.