Fram banned by WMF

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Auggie

Re: Fram banned by WMF

Post by Auggie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm

ok I'm lost. What was Gamaliel's accusation?

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Auggie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm
I went into it here. Both the linked post and the one immediately after gives all the relevant details.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:03 pm
Auggie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:59 pm
I went into it here. Both the linked post and the one immediately after gives all the relevant details.
So Gamaliel was trolled off-site and Fram linked to it?

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:04 am

Auggie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 pm
Fram linked to a long thread on reddit talking about Gamaliel repeatedly protecting an editor. Someone made colorful remark in that discussion and that remark is the sole basis of the "sexual harassment" claim. Mind you, he is accusing Fram of sexual harassment.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:04 am
Auggie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 pm
Fram linked to a long thread on reddit talking about Gamaliel repeatedly protecting an editor. Someone made colorful remark in that discussion and that remark is the sole basis of the "sexual harassment" claim. Mind you, he is accusing Fram of sexual harassment.
Thanks. Yes sometimes I need things dumbed down to this kind of language.

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:52 pm

Regarding this post I made earlier in this thread, it is now possible that my piece in Breitbart on the Fram ban controversy was not removed from the spam white-list at the request of any volunteer, so my apologies to GorillaWarfare should that be the case. Someone brought up this discussion on Wikipediocracy where there was a proposal to bar my Breitbart article from being used "as a source" about Fram's ban (his wording was misleading and many votes think it is talking about using it in an article rather than simply mentioning it in projectspace as coverage of the discussion). In the course of that discussion Guy Macon suggested my piece was removed from the Signpost at the request of the Foundation's Trust and Safety team. He links to a comment from Smallbones stating: "I won't include Breitbart anymore in The Signpost. !st Bb links are blacklisted. 2nd an Arb has strongly requested that it not be linked. This last issue I just mentioned it without a link (saying to find the link on your own to preempt the obvious question of why no link). T&S requested the offending material in this issue be removed." Smallbones did indeed remove mention of my Breitbart piece. Notably, the mention did not provide a link or include the headline. He literally just mentioned the existence of a piece in Breitbart on the ban.

I sought confirmation from Smallbones, but he removed my comments without explanation. Also asked Worm That Turned, who removed my piece from the spam white-list, if that was done at the Foundation's direction. For a few days I have further sought clarification from Trust and Safety's Jan Eissfeldt as to whether these actions were indeed prompted by his team. None have responded to my queries about a Foundation role in these actions. I have not been informed in any way by Trust and Safety as to any concerns about the piece. The potential action warrants a response as there is a reasonable question as to why my piece may have specifically invited action from the Foundation. All details included in my piece are public on Wikimedia sites (except mentioning WO members being mad about the GamerGate comparison) and BuzzFeed had already published personal details about Hale and Sefidari. Unlike BuzzFeed, I did not link to Wikipediocracy where more personal information was included. Only one detail I included was not the subject of on-wiki discussion about Fram's ban at the time of the article and it was a public deletion discussion from roughly a month before Hale's ban. What is bizarre is the inconsistency. The Foundation supposedly had a mere mention removed from the Signpost, yet GorillaWarfare only removed a link from the Fram ban discussion. Many links and mentions remain throughout the discussion of Fram's ban. Should they want to throw my piece down the memory-hole, then they are doing a very poor job of it.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:29 pm

So it's Friday. Where are we with this Fram thing? ArbCom is mulling it over?

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:51 pm

(h/t Wikipediocracy poster Eagle)

http://www.canberra.edu.au/researchrepo ... _pages.pdf
Laura Michelle Hale wrote: The final three years of my thesis journey were accompanied by María Sefidari. After the initial research for the thesis had been complete, she had to live with this thesis and me. Dating, living with and eventually marrying a PhD student during their thesis is no easy feat because this period is filled with all sorts of insecurities on the part of the student, of doubts, of having imposter syndrome, of trying to plan a life around thesis submission dates, and of occasionally being asked to be an expert in a topic that you may not be an expert in. María was patient with me throughout this process, was kind, was supportive, and was everything you could ever ask for in a partner. Falling in love with and marrying her I believe benefited me not just because she is wonderful, but because she helped calm me so I could focus on things that matter in life. When this thesis is finished, she deserves her trip to Canberra to watch me graduate because without my wife, this thesis would have been completed but the end game would not have mattered as much.

From the WP:FRAM discussion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... n_the_room
Black Kite wrote: There has, at a venue other than Wikipedia, been a discussion of the above issue. That discussion has suggested that Person A (the person who was the complainant against Fram) has a COI in relation to Person B, who is a significant member of the WMF.
Some responses:
Tony Ballioni wrote: I would strongly discourage the Foundation from replying to rumours generated by a site that has attempted doxxing of editors very recently.
Liz wrote: This is all conjecture and I wouldn't put money on their theories.
Jorm wrote: This kind of speculation is despicable and unworthy.
Salvidrim! wrote: I agree that speculation on the nature of their relationsip (current or former s/o or just friends and collaborators) is unwelcome and unproductive
Raystorm wrote: She has since then been under relentless public examination, with a deep look at her past, the quality of her edits, her being a WiR (in 2013!), her personal relationships, and even people going through Commons and elsewhere to find pictures of her and pictures of me and posting them externally.
Fæ wrote: Lastly a note for known Wikipedians that are at this moment enjoying collaborating with the trolling off-wiki and making it worse, you are utter bastards, dick heads and bigots, I hope you get banned, you have no role here on Wikipedia. Thanks!
Amakuru wrote: The people harassing Raystorm and Laura, trying to dig dirt on them or cause disruption off-wiki, whoever they may be, are breaking our rules and deserve to be called out for it and blocked. There is no place for people like that on Wikipedia.
Buzzfeed:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jo ... ulture-war
Joe Bernstein wrote: On Wikipedia and in the forums of Wikipediocracy, a site where Wikipedians gather to discuss and criticize Wikipedia, users speculated about a secret romantic connection between the woman editor and a member of the Wikimedia Foundation board

Proabivouac

Post by Proabivouac » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:55 pm

TDA, this is damning:

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =904801460
Smallbones wrote: I won't include Breitbart anymore in The Signpost. !st Bb links are blacklisted. 2nd an Arb has strongly requested that it not be linked. This last issue I just mentioned it without a link (saying to find the link on your own to preempt the obvious question of why no link). T&S requested the offending material in this issue be removed
So, now "Trust and Safety"'s mission includes suppressing mentions of news pieces which criticize "Trust and Safety"…

…and most probably soliciting arbitrators to help carry their water…

This probably why the promised Arbitration case has not yet been opened; they are still bickering about what special evidence secrecy rules are needed with several arbitrators parroting T&S. The chance committee that the committee will resolve this fairly approaches zero. Several members may well want to, but they may not be a majority. It seems probable that T&S handed it to them only after enough consultation and head counting to ensure that the numbers were on their side. Even SilkTork says that he means to work with T&S rather than against them.

Meanwhile, Wikipediocracy's Vigilant has found this old grant application, in which Laura Hale unsuccessfully applied for WMF funding alongside "Trust and Safety"'s Karen Ingraffea-Brown's husband and former arbitrator Courcelles:

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants: ... ch_Oceania

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Yeh, that is all very nice Pro, but it has nothing to do with the Framban. Vig has not a shit, he never had, he is making a lot of noise but at the end it is all.......... nothing.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!