Maria Sefidari, Laura Hale, Fram, and Jan Eissfeldt

General discussion about Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects
Auggie

Maria Sefidari, Laura Hale, Fram, and Jan Eissfeldt

Post by Auggie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:28 pm

Starting a new thread because the Fram thread is getting long and confusing.

The Players

Raystorm - Real name is Maria Sefidari (publicly available information). She is the Chair of the Wikimedia Foundation Board. Gained her position after community-elected Doc James was controversially removed. Maria Sefidari is married to Laura Hale.

LauraHale - Real name Laura Hale. Wife of Maria Sefidari. Wikimedian-in-residence (paid to edit Wikipedia by the Wikimedia Foundation). Wrote many articles about the Paralympics, often with the "Paralympics in X country" formula, along with articles about specific athletes.

Fram - Long-term Wikipedia administrator going back around fourteen years. Tends to find problematic contributors and follow their contributions feed, criticizing them when they make mistakes. Fram is also a highly vocal critic of the Wikimedia Foundation, particularly when they roll out poorly-implemented new technologies. He lives in Belgium.

Jan Eissfeldt - Head of the Wikimedia Foundation Trust and Safety group. Was active on the German Wikipedia but left under a cloud.

The Conflict

Beginning around 2016, Fram criticized Laura for bad article writing. Raystorm defended Laura. Laura put a notice on her talk page that Fram was no longer welcome to comment there. In 2019, Fram was summarily banned by Wikimedia Trust and Safety, for a term of one year, from just Wikipedia (not other WMF wikis). This was a new punishment, unprecedented in Wikipedia history. Community outrage ensued. The WMF Board became involved, and referred the case to the community-elected group, ArbCom. The Board also noted that Maria Sefidari was not involved with the decision to bring in ArbCom.

The Obvious Accusation

Maria Sefidari improperly used her influence as Chair of the Wikimedia Foundation to have Fram banned following an on-wiki dispute between Fram and Laura Hale, her wife. Following this she and Jan Eissfeldt sheltered behind victim-protection considerations to hide their actions.

The Devil's Advocate

Re: Maria Sefidari, Laura Hale, Fram, and Jan Eissfeldt

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:01 pm

Linking my post in the other thread here. Essentially, the Foundation's Trust and Safety may be trying, poorly, at throwing my Breitbart piece on the Fram ban down the memory-hole. Smallbones claims he removed the mere mention of a piece on the ban existing at Breitbart per the request of the Trust and Safety team. No response from him or head of Trust and Safety to my queries about the matter. It could be the real reason for Worm That Turned removing my piece from the spam white-list as well, but he has not responded on that point. Despite people suggesting otherwise, nothing in my piece reveals any information not already present on Wikimedia sites.

Auggie

Post by Auggie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 pm

Thank you. You have definitely helped us all to understand this stuff. And it is mind-boggling how much secrecy the WMF is trying to preserve. All of this is in plain view for anyone to look at. But for all the outrage on-wiki none of them are brave enough to step forward and address the obvious conflict of interest that likely set this whole episode in motion.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:03 pm

And I say the base of the problem is Inclusionism. If you have read Kalliope Tsouroupidou's email to Fram it was about his deletionis, and be aware, Guido den Broeder is a super inclusionist. And the T&S staff too.
The Laura Hale affaire for sure has played a roll, Guido confirms that on WO, but Hale was not the complainant. What doesn't mean she was not involved, but that is impossible to proof. But beside of the FramBan it seems to me there is indeed a conflict of interest.

Anyhow there are elements enough what should justify a thorough investigation from outside what is going on in the charity foundation WMF.
Because it is clear to all of us something is rotten in the state of Wikipedia.
Waar exacte, that is the question.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!

The Devil's Advocate

Post by The Devil's Advocate » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:28 pm

I think people are mistaken to think Hale was not the initial complainant every time action was taken against Fram and it would help for all of them to read my piece. Unfortunately, one of the remaining mentions of my piece suggests I only covered what BuzzFeed covered. Should the Foundation also be trying to suppress or remove any mentions of my piece, however bad they are at doing it, this will make it even less likely that the people commenting on this will be able to find that vital piece of the puzzle.

EarlStatler

Post by EarlStatler » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:50 pm

This should all be analysed by professionals, gouverments TDA. We only can give them all the puzzle pieces because we know our way through this mess, but we can't solve this. We simple can't and it is not our task. Because we are only ad random civilians.
If you're in a dogfight, become a cat!